XBMC

fit-PC2 as HTPC
si_lud

XBMC

Post by si_lud »

Any update on OpenGL drivers for Windows? I bought the Fit-PC2 to run XBMC, and of course it won't run without it. The Intel IEGD packaging tool looks like it might be able to create a GMA 500 driver with OpenGL support, but I've no idea where to start!

In case I can't get this working, would an Ubuntu installation work for XBMC?

irads

Re: Display driver - GMA500

Post by irads »

See http://www.fit-pc2.com/download/fit-pc2 ... ection.zip IEGD 10.1 that supports XBMC - but without video acceleration.

We are in the process of bringing up XBMC on Ubuntu.

si_lud

Post by si_lud »

Thanks very much Irad... I have now set up XBMC with EventGhost, and it works like a charm!

si_lud

Post by si_lud »

Update: without the video acceleration it seems that video playback on XBMC is very choppy. I contacted Intel and they said:

"The graphics driver for Windows* XP that Intel offers does not have support for OpenGL* 2.0, I recommend you to contact your computer manufacturer to obtain customized drivers for your computer model."

Is it be possible for you guys to create a customised driver using the Intel IEGD which takes advantage of the OpenGL features of the chipset? The only reason I bought the FitPC was to run a Media Centre, and if it can't do this reliably I will be quite disappointed!

Si

irads

Re: XBMC

Post by irads »

The key is the ability of XBMC to use the CyberLink codecs. We are offering IEGD drivers with OpenGL support that run XBMC, but without XBMC using codecs with acceleration you will not get decent video.

We are testing XBMC on Linux, where XBMC is using Mplayer as the video engine - there is a chance we can get it to work with vaapi acceleration. Under Windows the best choice is MPC-HC.

si_lud

Post by si_lud »

Well, thanks, Irad. It's a great pity about XBMC under Windows - MPC-HC doesn't look as fully featured or user-friendly.

I'll wait for Ubuntu. Will you produce a custom build I can burn to DVD?

I don't suppose we could prevail upon the XBMC coders to use the Cyberlink codecs?

irads

Post by irads »

On Windows - WMP11 works with the CyberLink codecs.
These codecs are not supported under Linux.

ericjarvies

Post by ericjarvies »

si_lud wrote:Update: without the video acceleration it seems that video playback on XBMC is very choppy. I contacted Intel and they said:

"The graphics driver for Windows* XP that Intel offers does not have support for OpenGL* 2.0, I recommend you to contact your computer manufacturer to obtain customized drivers for your computer model."

Is it be possible for you guys to create a customised driver using the Intel IEGD which takes advantage of the OpenGL features of the chipset? The only reason I bought the FitPC was to run a Media Centre, and if it can't do this reliably I will be quite disappointed!

Si
So are you talking about application performance in general, or ability to play a certain resolution video, namely 1080p? If the app runs fine, and the problem is in video playback, then how does it handle NTSC/PAL, 480i, and 720p(and 720i and 180i)?

Thank you,

Eric Jarvies

jeremys

Post by jeremys »

I'm following this subject with great intrest also. My Fit-PC2 is now acting as win Server and Xbox1 is the MediaCenter. IF somehow the GMA500 driver "issue" is revoled so that xbmc LIVE/Linux versions can fully utilize the hw video potential I see no reason not to buy couple more fit-pcs.

And what a marketing skeem it could also be - Best HW in conjuction with the Best MediaCenter SW.

:)

LuciusMare

Post by LuciusMare »

I am kinda lost in this, so XMBC is on linux (ubuntu) already? And, can it accelerate with HW - are there drivers for linux yet? That would be nice, thanks.

Return to “HTPC”