(solved) fit-PC3 pilot batch incompatibility with some SSDs

opencompany

fit-PC3 pilot batch does not boot with some SSDs (solved)

Post by opencompany »

We are testing a fit-PC3 LP with G-T40E from the Pilot batch and have noticed an issue with at least one particular SSD drive from OCZ.

SSD: OCZ Vertex 2 Series SSD 60GB 285/275 MB r/w
OCZSSD2-2VTXE60

With this SSD installed the fit-PC3 PC won't boot when power is connected. The front led logo blinks and we can hear a small ticking sound. Without SSD, with a regular HDD or with another 32GB "noname" SSD we have, the PC boot just fine.

We have tested the OCZ SSD in another PC.

Any ideas or do you know of any limitations regarding SSD drives in fit-PC3 (maybe fit-PC3 pilot units only?)
Kind Regards,
Kevin Peter Gade

CompuLab Nordic A/S (www.compulabnordic.dk)
Danish distributor of fit-PC and other products from CompuLab since 2008.

mirumu

Re: Supported SSD drives (fit-PC3 LP pilot)

Post by mirumu »

If there is a problem it doesn't seem to affect all OCZ models. I've an OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, VTX3-25SAT3-120G, in my pilot batch fit-PC3 LP. One of their SATA3 drives. Seems to be working without issue so far.

irads

Post by irads »

Interesting. The SATA is native to the Hudson A55E. We have not experienced incompatibilities yet. Maybe it would be worth to send over such an SSD to us for trying to replicate the problem.

mikeboss

Post by mikeboss »

same here with an intel SSD :shock: fit-PC3 won't boot, just blinking power and ticking sound from the main logicboard.

it's a fit-PC3 Basic 4GB and the SSD is intel X-25M 80GB SSDSA2MH080G1GC

the crucial m4 SSD works fine BTW.

regards,
michael

irads

Post by irads »

Thanks for reporting. We initiated research of the problem.

jwuk

Post by jwuk »

Hi, fyi:

ocz ssd vtx3-25sat3-60g, also causes the box to click and the light to flash. a 256gb ssd kingston drive works fine

RISC

Post by RISC »

We have tested the Fit-PC3 out of the 1st production lot yesterday and can confirm that newly purchased OCZ Agility 2 both the Sata 2&3 are causing the problems mentionned. After powering up, the front LED is blinking in a fast frequency and the Fit-PC3 does not boot at all. OCZ Vertex-2 series so far did not show the effect. Testing wit SSD from Manufacturers like Kingston and Corsair Force Series 3 worked fine. The SSD that did cause problems in the Fit-PC3 did function perfectly well when mounted in to the Fit-PC2i with propper OS installed of course. The SSD causing this effect will be send this week to Compulab (Irad)

irads

(solved) fit-PC3 pilot batch incompatibility with some SSDs

Post by irads »

There were several reports of fit-PC3 from pilot batch installed with some types of SSD not booting but instead entering repeated power cycling as reported here http://fit-pc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=2588

The cause was found to be in timing of RC circuit controlling the regulated 5V rail. High capacitance of the SSD was causing a 5V voltage drop that resulted in repeated resetting.

The problem exhibits itself only when system powers up and only with some types of SSDs. Specifically:
- fit-PC3 with pre-installed hard disk is known to work well.
- fit-PC3 that boots with an SSD will keep working well.
- There are no known issues with any HDD.

The fix is to replace some capacitors and resistors on the fit-PC3 motherboard. Unfortunately this can be done only at CompuLab. Buyers who wish to have the fix applied to their purchased fit-PC3 can send the fit-PC3 for repair at CompuLab expense. Please allow 2 weeks + shipping time for repair. Email rma@fit-pc.com to initiate the RMA process.

All new orders are from 16-Jan-2012 and later would be supplied with the fix already applied.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Best regards,

irads

Re: fit-PC3 pilot batch does not boot with some SSDs (solved

Post by irads »

Issue was identified, acknowledged and addressed.
See http://fit-pc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=2606

mirumu

Re: fit-PC3 pilot batch does not boot with some SSDs (solved

Post by mirumu »

I tried a OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 60GB SSD in my Fit-PC3 LP, this drive uses the same Sandforce chip as the OCZ Vertex 2. I can boot off the drive, and the front LED doesn't flicker, but I do get the constant ticking sound described by Linuxshoppen. In other systems this drive is completely silent.

Is it likely this is caused by the same problem with the of RC circuit timing?

Return to “fit-PC3 faults and troubleshooting”