Displayport to hdmi adapters.. Are they needed.

DVI, HDMI (or lack of), VGA (or lack of), supported displays
gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: Displayport to hdmi adapters.. Are they needed.

Post by gabrielh »

Let's try to narrow the issue to the adapter functionality. Attach a DP2HDMI adapter to the FitPC3 DP, and an HDMI monitor to the adapter. Unplug the other screen from the FitPC3's hdmi port. Now try to get a BIOS menu displayed.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Jcbbuk

Post by Jcbbuk »

gabrielh wrote:Let's try to narrow the issue to the adapter functionality. Attach a DP2HDMI adapter to the FitPC3 DP, and an HDMI monitor to the adapter. Unplug the other screen from the FitPC3's hdmi port. Now try to get a BIOS menu displayed.
Hi, I no longer have my unit, I had to ship it for a demo, I get it back in a week or so.
I will check your checks, I'm pretty sure I have done this but will double check.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Thanks. I will look toward your update.
Gabriel Heifets

Jcbbuk

Post by Jcbbuk »

gabrielh wrote:Let's try to narrow the issue to the adapter functionality. Attach a DP2HDMI adapter to the FitPC3 DP, and an HDMI monitor to the adapter. Unplug the other screen from the FitPC3's hdmi port. Now try to get a BIOS menu displayed.

hi again, I have my unit (Fit3Pro, Win7Pro SSD) back (finally)..

I know there has been some time pasted but I have some time to investigate.
Starting from scratch:-

- New Bios (as of Nov last year), Win7 Pro updated to latest.
- Screen 1 (has 2 HDMI inputs, 1 VGA, 1 Component and 1 Composite)
- Screen 2 as above (identical screens)

Connect Screen 1 (HDMI 1) to HDMI port on Fit3 - all ok.
Connect Screen 2 (HDMI 2) to DisplayPort on Fit3 via a DP to HDMI lead - all ok (RS 724-4103)

This confirms two screen operation (why this didnt happen last time I just don't know). All cables are the same etc etc

BUT I need a DP to HDMI adapter (not lead assembly), I have bought 3 of them - all U/S (RS 724-4080 and two other units - I dont have info now)

I also have a DP to VGA adapter (RS 724-4099), this also does not work.

So, can anyone confirm a DP - VGA adapter that works? if so where can I get it?
Also a DP - HDMI adapter that works? if so where can I get it?

Thanks in advance..

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Can you post a links to your adapters?
A passive DP2HDMI adapter will work. Also all majority DP2VGA adapters with an EDID emulation should work too
Gabriel Heifets

Jcbbuk

Post by Jcbbuk »

gabrielh wrote:Can you post a links to your adapters?
A passive DP2HDMI adapter will work. Also all majority DP2VGA adapters with an EDID emulation should work too
These are listed earlier in this thread, I have tried a fair few now obviously costing money :-(.

Just ordered an hp unit from eBay, someone posted that they work, having a list of known working units would help all.
Hdmi to dvi leads work ok, so one screen has two options, but getting dp to hdmi/VGA completes my requirements, giving great flexibility and options.

Again, any advice is well received.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Gabriel Heifets

Jcbbuk

Post by Jcbbuk »

Hi , thanks for the link:- I am running Win7Pro so some of it may of not been applicable, going into detail, I did go into the AMD Vision controller (although after a recent update I can only see CPU power now (have to look at this later). I did go into the AMD Vision control panel and I was able to tinker with stuff.

My gripe presently is all about adapters, what works and what dont. Active or passive? etc etc

The adapters/leads on this thread either work or dont (might produce a list of the one and publish it).

From your link, it would appear the StarTech adapters work:-

StarTech - DP - VGA-Active Adapter (UPC Code: 065030834551)
StarTech - HDMI - VGA Adapter (UPC Code: 065030848411)

I have a Hewlett Packard unit in this morning (DP2VGA) - I will post later if it works and its details.

pseud0

Post by pseud0 »

Though admittedly I'm running BIOS SBC_2.1.0.333_13 and openSUSE as the OS the StarTech adapter DP2HDMIADAP with a cheap 1m Tesco HDMI cable gives me the display mirrored from boot. I have the BIOS Display Port option set to HDMI passive adapter. I haven't investigated extending the desktop etc. as I don't normally run this way, I just rigged something to look at your issue. My DP2HDMI adapter is actually surplus to requirements so if you PM me I can pop it in the post for you to try.

Kenny

Jcbbuk

Post by Jcbbuk »

Hi kenny

Cheers for the offer, very kind.

The hp unit (loads on bay, good built quality) and cheap too. Did not work initially. I turned off the dp passive bios setting and bang it worked.. Mayhaps I have misunderstood the bios setting.
I then tried my other adapters, still no joy, I will retest tomorrow.

Maybe a new thread on what adapters works and more importantly the ones that don't work.

There is still a little confusion about the bios dp setting and when it should / should not be used.
But progress I hope.

Return to “Display interface”