Internal HDD compatibility

Hard disks, SSD, SATA interface, external HDD
pseud0

Internal HDD compatibility

Post by pseud0 »

Hi, I've recently purchased a FitPC3 Value and am having some HDD compatibility issues. I have tried 4 drives and only had success with 1. Here are the drive models. 

Hitachi 5K500.B-250 250GB 0.7A 5V DC
WD Scorpio Blue 750GB (WD7500BPVT) 0.55A 5V DC
Seagate Momentus 750GB 0.7A 5V DC
WD Scorpio Black 750GB 0.7A 5V DC

I initially tried the Hitachi 250GB which works but I ultimately need more capacity. All of the other 3 drives result in the LED behind the FitPC badge flashing rapidly. Is there some capacity limitation which I am encountering or is it the electrical characteristics of the drive which prevent them from working? I thought the 7200RPM drives might have an issue ( Scorpio Black & Momentus ) but expected the Scorpio Blue to work, especially as its nominal rating is lower than the Hitachi. All the drives work with two different bus powered USB-3 enclosures when connected to the FitPC3. Thanks for any advice you can offer. 

Kenny

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: Internal HDD compatibility

Post by gabrielh »

Does the only issue is the HDD activity LED, or the drives are not recognized by BIOS?
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

pseud0

Post by pseud0 »

Hi Gabriel,

The BIOS doesn't initialize and as far as I can tell the platters don't spin up, though maybe the drive needs a start command for that to happen.

BIOS is current as of last night and have tried SATA2 & SATA3 setting.

Flashing led rate is approx 10/s and each flash is accompanied by a tick/click.

Kenny

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

It seems like a hardware issue of the unit. Please consider RMA.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

pseud0

Post by pseud0 »

Thanks, I'll contact the distributor and update the thread once I have further info.

Kenny

pseud0

Post by pseud0 »

I received a replacement machine today and happily it is now working with the WD Scorpio Blue 750GB drive. In case anyone gets the wrong idea, the delay in the RMA process was all down to me not the distributor.

Return to “Storage”