CentOS 5.4 or Ubuntu 9.10 Server Edition + additional questi

JoeDoe10

CentOS 5.4 or Ubuntu 9.10 Server Edition + additional questi

Post by JoeDoe10 »

Hi guys.

I am considering buying two fit-PC2i boxes to replace my power hungry desktop servers. Currently my servers are running with a non-graphical CentOS 5.4.

1)
I have seen a lot of problems with CentOS and fit-PC2 but mostly older posts - but I guess this still is a problem and that CentOS is not able to run with high performance on the SATA interface?

2)
I will not need the graphical user interface as my server is only used as a web and file server. If CentOS is not able to install, will I then at least be able to smootly install the latest Server Edition of Ubuntu (and will it have good performance)?

3)
The 4GB flash available with the 2GB RAM and 160GB harddisk Linux model - is it possible to boot without this one? I will not utilize the flash as I would rather replace the way too small 160GB disk with a 500GB or 640GB SATA drive - not sure yet if I will have a 5400 or 7200 RPM disk.

4)
Can I get into problems with heating when having a 500-650GB internal harddisk with the cabinet placed in a normal closet (not airconditioned)? I am thinking of the harddisk here as I can see the fit-PC2 can deal with warm temperatures without any problems.

5)
Will the huge heatsink help on the (maybe) problem of the above?

6)
Can you recommend any 24/7 server graded 2,5" disks? I have bad experiences with 2,5" disks in laptops which I think is way too unstable over time (have also tried using a laptop as server but it also did break).

7)
I am also in doubt how to actually install the OS if I want to install it myself? Do I just install it on another box and then install the harddrive in the fit-PC2? Or can I somehow install it directly into the box?

Hope you guys can help clarifying some of these many many questions - it seems this box will have earned itself within 3 years (money wise), so hopefully I can get this working as I want it to :-)

Thanks in advance / Joe

irads

Re: CentOS 5.4 or Ubuntu 9.10 Server Edition + additional questi

Post by irads »

Some hard disk vendors offer industrial grade 2.5" hard disks.
Of course SSD would be the most reliable but you are requiring high capacity.

Temperature-wise if ambient in the closet does not exceed 40C there shouldn't be an issue with HDD overheating.

Return to “Linux on fit-PC2”