Crackling while recording audio

losttime

Crackling while recording audio

Post by losttime »

I plan on using my fit-PC to record live audio streams, but I can't get a quality recording. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

I have my iPod plugged in to the fit-PC's line-in jack and my headphones plugged into the fit-PC's headphone jack. When I play music on my iPod I can hear it in my headphones. There's no distortion or crackling, so I know the connections into the computer are solid.

When I record the audio stream (which was a chore in and of itself) I get crackling that varies with the intensity of the sound being recorded (if the music fades to silence, the crackling goes away too). The crackling goes away if I lower the recording frequency to 8000Hz, but the sound quality is so terrible that the recording is no good to me.

Can anyone out there get a good recording on your little machine?

This is the command I used:

Code: Select all

# arecord --channels=2 --format=S16_LE --rate=44100 /home/fit/recording1.wav
I am running Ubuntu 9.10 and have removed pulseaudio due to some conflicts it was causing with another audio program on my machine.
fit-PC2 with Ubuntu 9.10

irads

Re: Crackling while recording audio

Post by irads »

Try disabling C-States in BIOS (GV3 only).

losttime

Post by losttime »

I disabled the C-States by switching to GV3 only.

The crackling is still there. It might be more faint (maybe), but it could be that my tolerance has increased.
fit-PC2 with Ubuntu 9.10

losttime

Post by losttime »

I picked up one of these and got it working:

Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Amigo II

It look a little work to get it set up, but I followed the instructions on this page as best I could.

ALSA Project snd-usb-audio setup guide

I got it to record @ 16bit, 48kHz and it sounds great.
fit-PC2 with Ubuntu 9.10

Return to “Linux on fit-PC2”