Ubuntu 9.10 or something else

elupus

Ubuntu 9.10 or something else

Post by elupus »

Hi,

I'm a developer of xbmc mediacenter and just received a fitpc as a donation from a user to look at vaapi support.

I got ubuntu 9.10 installed on the system on a usb stick for now. And tried xbmc on it. We get corrupt textures, potentially due to us using compressed textures, (and as somebody else on this forum noted) it's abit slow at 1080p.

vaapi refused totally for me, but somebody mentioned it working to some extent. Have not yet tried if mplayer-vaapi works, so could be a xbmc issue, for example that decoding happens in different thread than display.

I'm wondering what the status is here.

Is Ubuntu karmic the best supported ubuntu version to run on the fitpc when it comes to opengl and vaapi?

I've noted there's different driver for the puoulsbo in karmic and previous versions. Is the driver of the previous versions in any better shape?

Also are there plans to provide the newer iegd drivers in the firpc repo anytime soon? Would be wastefull for me to try and work around bugs in the drivers if those bugs go away soon.

prj

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 or something else

Post by prj »

I'm not very updated on the IEGD driver but the original GMA 500 driver (PSB) had issues with hyper threading. I'd suggest you disable HT in BIOS and see if it solves any of your problems.

The PSB driver is more or less an ugly hack and if IEGD is based on the same code it probably suffers from the same issues.

snowman

Post by snowman »

Hi elupus,

In my opinion, you should stay with IEGD if you'd like to head to the future. Compared with the psb driver, the IEGD has definitely advantages in OpenGL support. Moreover it seems to be actively supported by Intel.

Vaapi has worked for me with mplayer with IEGD 10.2. The only issue I had was with an installed version of win32 codecs. After deinstalling that package everything was fine.

I have also given IEGD 10.3.1 a try and this one seems to fix a few issues including the annoying firefox issues reported repeatedly in this forum; at least partly: sometimes this bug is still showing up, but less frequently. I feel that the stability of the driver had been enhanced w.r.t. 10.2 (10.2 refused to work for video decoding after a long uptime, with 10.3.1 I couldn't observe that behaviour).

Hope this helps
Christoph

ypnos

Post by ypnos »

elupus: Problem is that there are currently issues with IEGD vaapi + GL rendering. To quote the developer of mplayer-vaapi:
IEGD does not support the relevant features yet to operate with OpenGL. Only the MRST driver does that.
Other than that my personal best experience was with Arch Linux. There I got at least two high-bitrate 1080p videos to play almost perfectly fine.

elupus

Post by elupus »

Yup heard the same.. Let's hope intel get's the moorsetown drivers out before they release hw.

Return to “Linux on fit-PC2”