Faulty wireless connection?

dwg

Faulty wireless connection?

Post by dwg »

I recently bought a Fit-PC2i, Linux model to use as a home router and server amongst other things.

However, I've been unable to get wireless to work, either with the fitpc from compulab's repository, or a standard Ubuntu 10.04 kernel. The driver loads and recognizes the rt2800 USB wireless device, however it never returns any scan results. Likewise iwconfig shows 0 for all the signal levels - as if the hardware is working, but is not connected to an antenna.

The supplied antenna is attached, of course, but I'm wondering if it could be faulty or improperly connected somehow.

ypnos

Re: Faulty wireless connection?

Post by ypnos »

My FIT-PC wireless reception also sucks. Maybe you really have to put the fit-pc directly next to your access point to verify that it actually does not get any signal instead of just having poor reception.

Btw. if you open your FIT-PC you can check whether antenna is connected internally. You just need a flashlight for that. You should see a cable that is soldered on the pci-express card and the antenna connector.

dwg

Post by dwg »

I'm not getting weak signal, I'm getting nothing. Zilch, nada, nothing. The Fit-PC is about 2 feet from the access point, and my laptop can see a half-dozen networks in addition to mine from the same location.

I have opened the case, and there was no obvious disconnection with the antenna - this is a Fit-PC2i, not Fit-PC2 so it is a USB, not PCi-Express wireless.

I was really hoping for a response from the compulab people by now, because I'm pretty sure it's a hardware fault.

irads

Post by irads »

I was really hoping for a response from the compulab people by now, because I'm pretty sure it's a hardware fault.
In case of a hardware fault you should email rma@fit-pc.com
The RMA department does not track the forum.

dwg

Post by dwg »

Right, I suspect it is a hardware fault, but I was hoping there might be a known tweak with some connection falling out. If it was simple and I could patch it up myself I would have a working system far faster than having to RMA it from Australia back to Israel.

Denis

Post by Denis »

Please check this thread, may be downgrading to Ubuntu 9.04 will help.
http://fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 34&start=0
Compulab's Linux support

Denis

Post by Denis »

Fixed, just update the kernel to the last one.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install linux-image-2.6.31-34-fitpc2
Compulab's Linux support

Return to “Linux on fit-PC2”