random lockups

johan

random lockups

Post by johan »

Hi,

I recently upgraded my fitpc2 and fitpc2i to the new debian stable (squeeze). The fitpc2i works with no problems but the fitpc2 locks up without any warning or error. Both run the 2.6.32-5 kernel that comes with debian squeeze.
Has anyone else experienced this problem? Or have suggestions on how to proceed to figure out whats wrong? Could it be a hardware/driver conflict?

Any insights would be very appreciated.

Regards,

Johan Jonkers

mwgrient

Re: random lockups

Post by mwgrient »

I am sorry, but what exactly do you mean by locks up? --> shutdown? Freeze?
And are you running xorg on it? Or just on tty?

lucian

Post by lucian »

after i put mint it run 30 day non stop - no problem, mostly with remote NX session.

in the last two weeks i used it more often xorg on 1920x1080 screen. since then i also had two hangs.

the computer just stops working, complete freeze, manuel reset and reboot necessary. both times i had httrack running.

johan

Post by johan »

With "locks up" I mean it freezes. I dont run xorg on it, its a server (mysql, mediatomb, nfs). I think its related to the nic. It has given me problems before and right now, if I ping it from another computer in the same network, the response times are like 0.300 ms. I think thats a bit slow (considering the other fitpc2 does 0.080 ms). Perhaps I should try a usb nic adapter and disable the onboard one, see what happens. Any other thoughts are always welcome on this of course :-)

Johan

mwgrient

Post by mwgrient »

I see, thank you. It gould be a problem with the firmware... Since debian is going a different way in computing, they desided to make the kernel closed source free... Is this any help?

U probably need the 8169 realtek driver for your system. Itś in the kernel of ubuntu, with the firmware. I am not shure of debian.

mwgrient

Post by mwgrient »

Johan, this post is something I meant:
http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=59995

If you ever get poulsbo working on squeeze, let me know!

johan

Post by johan »

I dont think its the firmware. My fitpc2i has similar NICs and runs without any problem and it runs on the same debian version. I've installed both the free and non-free firmware packages but that did not help. Since I need this server up and running my current solution is to get a USB NIC adapter to get it back up and running that way.

Thanks for your response.

Johan

mwgrient

Post by mwgrient »

...and did you tried to compile your own driver from Realtek? I am on Debian now... and i see what you mean.
Or even better: did you find a solution?

Return to “Linux on fit-PC2”