Intermittant sound problems

rossyp83

Intermittant sound problems

Post by rossyp83 »

Hi,

My fit-pc2 seems to completely drop the audio at random times. I have seen it occur at start-up, but also it has occurred during general use. I have tried Linux Mint, and I now use Ubuntu 10.04. Both appear to exhibit the same behaviour.

No other issues seem to occur, e.g. when watching a video the sound will disappear, but the video will continue to update. Usually sound comes back after a reboot.

Are there any kind of diagnostics I can run when this occurs, or is this a known issue with a solution I could follow? I tried searching the forums but my search terms (audio, sound, drivers ,etc) were flagged as too common and did not return any results.

Any help solving this would be greatly appreciated. Other than this issue I find the fit-pc2 a great piece of kit.

Thanks,

Ross.

[EDIT: Sorry I just realised I should clarify, this is using the sound port connecting to a stereo using a 3.5mm jack to 2 RCA cable, meaning it is an analogue signal]

derek

Re: Intermittant sound problems

Post by derek »

I think I have the same problem. It has plagued both my fitPC2i devices from Day 1 - so I don't think it's a faulty unit.

Sound will be working normally and then some time later, often days later, I will come back to the fitPC and try to get sound out of it and there will be nothing. No login sound. No "window and button sounds". Nothing from any player.

A reboot usually fixes it but not always.

Any hints as to what I should be looking at?

cbgoodbuddy

Post by cbgoodbuddy »

Yes, I have the same problem: random loss of sound, requiring a reboot (sometimes multiple reboots) to regain sound.

Denis

Post by Denis »

Hi, please install LinuxMint13 following our wiki http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Li ... on_fit-PC2, I believe sound issues will be resolved.
Compulab's Linux support

derek

Post by derek »

Is the procedure to upgrade from Linux Mint 9 to Linux Mint 13 obvious enough based on the instructions given for installing Linux Mint 13 from scratch? For example, does the Install option from the live boot explicitly support upgrading rather than installing from scratch? And do the rest of the instructions in the link that you have given work the same if it's an upgrade rather than an install?

(It has been a couple of years since I did the original install and I don't remember what prompts and options are there.)

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

I afraid the is no way to upgraded from Linux Mint 9 to 13 by going through several steps aka sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

Due to the several specific steps (like downgrading xserver), I sugest you to install the Linux Mint 13 from scratch
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

cbgoodbuddy

Post by cbgoodbuddy »

I changed to Linux Mint 13 (Maya) about two weeks ago, and so far the sound and video seem more reliable. Thanks.

Return to “Linux on fit-PC2”