fit-pc2i new out of the box doesnt boot

remd

fit-pc2i new out of the box doesnt boot

Post by remd »

I have bought and just received a fit-pc2-D1G-C1600-H8-W.

I try to boot of a Kingston 2gb usb stick (with ubuntu 10.04.3), which works fine on another computer, and all I get is a blinking cursor after the hardware check.
The only thing I can access so far is the BIOS (v 09/14/10).
I have checked the bios settings, the usb port is on top of the boot list. I've also tried to set some options to "other" instead of Dos or WinXP to see if that helped, but that didnt help.
I've tried to plug in the usb stick in all 4 ports, but none seem to boot.
The usb stick blinks at startup, during hw check, but doesnt blink passed that, so it seems that the usb port is not used to boot, although it is set in the bios.

I see no error message or anything, and on forums people usually mention RAM or PCI issues with these type of error.

Does anyone have any advice on what could be wrong or how to boot of USB, or is the unit probably faulty and need to be replaced ?

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: fit-pc2i new out of the box doesnt boot

Post by gabrielh »

Hello

I am not familiar with this failure, but can you please try another UFD? FitPC2 works fine with the Ubuntu on UFD.

I will wait for your reply.

BR
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

remd

Post by remd »

Thanks for your quick reply!

It is working now. This was a bit strange as usually you'd get an error message if you don't insert any media to boot from, or if the boot files are not there, but here nothing..
Then I created a Ubuntu boot usbdisk from a MAC, as instructed on the Ubuntu site, which seems to work fine.....but not on the fit-pc box.
Then I created a usb boot disk from a ubuntu pc as instructed on the Ubuntu site, the files on there seem like the same as before.....but this time it worked !

Anyway, I'm now half way through the install and everything seems to be working ok.
I'll post again if I see anything wrong, but for now everything's ok.

Cheers,
RD

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Thanks
BR
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Return to “Linux on fit-PC2”