Getting wifi to work in Linux on the z530

vtailor

Getting wifi to work in Linux on the z530

Post by vtailor »

Basically, the wifi scripts on the versions of Linux that I have been able to test fail for the z530. Something about the built-in wifi, but not sure what.

But, since Linux wifi drivers are general, and not specific at all to either the chip or the machine, it is very easy to install a working wifi on, say, a z510 with a USB wifi dongle and move rc.wifi and its auxiliary file over to the z530 with no change, and wifi on the built-in wifi works perfectly. That is, assuming a recent kernel, it works perfectly. And, the led light indicates wifi operation under Linux the same way as under Windows. (The led light works on the z530, but not the z510, identical script and auxiliary file.)

Written from very recent chrome browser running under RIPLinuX connected to house wireless router by antenna.

vtailor

Re: Getting wifi to work in Linux on the z530

Post by vtailor »

Let me suggest that users can get a copy of say, RIPLinuX-13.7.iso, mount it on a loop, extract the wificonfig script and use it to generate rc.wifi and its auxiliary file. I am enclosing the generalized rc.wifi file from my system, without the local details in the generated auxiliary file.

Return to “Linux on fit-PC2”