Sound and resolution

didier

Sound and resolution

Post by didier »

Hello All
I don't know if this forum is still active for FitPC2 but hope so.
I just bought a FITPC2 and want to install linux distribution on it.

Tried last debian + gnome but CPU always to 100% with graphical layer. Trying others but faced problems too.

Check on fitpc site and found mintlinux for installation as requierement.

When installing mint mate 17.2
- resolution (1680x1050) is OK but no sound - Youtube load CPU a lot (more than 85%)
- modifying sound with; load-module module-udev-detect tsched=0 permit to get sound but very often scratching even not sound application running.

Following: this installation http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Li ... on_fit-PC2
- not able to have 1680x1050 as screen resolution and same "noisy speakers"

Maybe someone facing the same or have an idea to help

Many thanks

irads

Re: Sound and resolution

Post by irads »

It has been a while since we updated Linux Mint support on fit-PC2. The latest version that we adapted was Mint 13.
You may find this thread useful - http://fit-pc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=5374

didier

Post by didier »

Many thanks for this quick reply

I already have read this topic, but I had same sound behavior with mint 13 and no resolution in 1680x1050.

When following the process, the dist upgrade set the default keyboard setting in querty when entering password and azerty after login.

Not tested youtube videos to check if i have the same behavior (really really really slow to use firefox even video running fine).

I will test it but I already own a Fitpc using as server (just a debian) without graphical layer and consider it as a very good choice. That's why I decided (when discovered it on ebay) to buy a FitPC2, but little bit disapointed because facing many problems with sound, CPU usage and screen resolution even with distribution advised by FitPc site.

Thanks

didier

Post by didier »

Ok I have tried to follow step by step the wiki for Mint Linux 13 Mate X32 for FITPC2.

Just disabled entries, in sources.list, because apt-get dist-upgrade update all the system.

Ok for the others step but when trying to dpkg -i emgd-bin_1.16.3196.deb I have dependecy error regarding xserver-xorg-core version which is not <<2:1.10.

Isn't it suppossed to downgrade to 1.9 ?

So Installation failed.

Restarting the Fitpc in 640x480 !! Before that, still have sound issue with many scratching output....

Is it not possible to find an ISO downloadable file with proper installation ?? The hardware is knwon by your team, why don't you provide an iso file already installed or downlodable CD/DVD with proper files...?

Denis

Post by Denis »

Hi didier,
You need follow all instructions, including "Downgrade xserver-xorg to 1.9 version" section. Did you created xorg.1.9.pref and xorg.1.9.list files?

Regarding audio issues, please add to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:
options snd-hda-intel position_fix=3
This can possibly help

Denis
Compulab's Linux support

didier

Post by didier »

Thanks for your help

Yes I have downgraded to xorg 1.9 by following step xorg.1.9.pref and xorg.1.9.list files - In fact, I guess I have did it.

The main problem I have in fact is:
- When installing intel Drivers I am not able to have a resolution 16:9 (1680x1050)
- Running video on Youtube make browsing really really slow (due to flash certainely).

Installing Mint 17.2 permit the proper resolution and audio (even if scratching noise is present) but still flash video make slow browsing

EDIT:
I have reset the installation to be sure to use xorg 2:1.9. adn finally get (after downgrade specify the version to install).
Install driver provided by FitPC.

Not able to obtain 1680x1050 (event there are other 16:9 proposal). Still having slow browsing when running video on Youtube and now slow video on youtube too. I have follow the FitPC process to the end. But the same.

I had updated Firefox to last version too.

Return to “Linux on fit-PC2”