Linux Mint Black screen

Dyl123

Linux Mint Black screen

Post by Dyl123 »

Hi,

Can anyone assist regarding the below

Intense PC connected to HDTV via HDMI cable running 1920x1080 res

Original distro on first boot was black screen.
F2 revealed bios so confirmed screen working.
No Grub menu accessable

Ran Lili with Linux mint 13 & 14 cinnamon 64 bit distoro's. Both installed but after reboot screen goes black.

Googled it and it appears it has something to do with screen resolution.

Can anyone assist with above mentioned distro's as all information on net so far has been unsuccessful.

Thanks,

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: Linux Mint Black screen

Post by gabrielh »

There can be a two weak points.

1. Cheap HDMI cable that unable to transfer a 1080p signal properly.
2. Unsupported video mode by your monitor
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Dyl123

Post by Dyl123 »

gabrielh, to both your points

1> It is a proper cable capable of delivering 1080p. works with my blu ray player, Windows 7 and Puppy Linux 5.3.1 @ 1920x1080

2> the "monitor" is a Samsung series 6 HDTV

Right now I've given up and using the pc as a useless paperweight on my otherwise clean desk.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Can you please try a Live version of Ubuntu with your current setup? Here you can find a guide of how to prepare a live Ubuntu distro on your UFD.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

loal

Post by loal »

Have the same problem.
Intense PS i7-3517UE
RAM 2x4 G
Ubuntu 12.04

The system loads successfully 1 time of 5. When it does not, I see Intense PC logo, then black screen, then very dark purple screen (ubuntu color), then the text cursor appears in the upper left corner and mouse cursor appears in the screen center. PC is working, mouse cursor moving. I can run an application with a mouse click in the region of probably existing program icon. While application is running I can find a border of it's window with a mouse cursor and cursor changes it's shape. But no way to force PC to show me something except two cursors. Sometimes while unsuccessful booting I can see a message "Could not write byte: Broken pipe".

As I understand it is a problem with video driver. Now system reports:

Code: Select all

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
	Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 2211
	Kernel driver in use: i915
	Kernel modules: i915
What video driver should I use?
Where to take it?
How to install it?

UPD
If I leave PC for 4 minutes warming with black screen, next booting try is successful.

irads

Post by irads »

Since cursor shows HW is probably OK. If you don't mind changing OS I suggest you install Mint 15 http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/In ... ux_Mint_15

Scribe

Post by Scribe »

I just unboxed my first Fit-PC MintBox 2 last night.

I connected a wireless Logitech K400 keyboard with integrated touchpad (which works just fine, thanks), and a 19-inch Acer LED VGA monitor.

I used the Fit-VGA dongle to connect the monitor (HDMI-to-VGA).

When I booted up the MintBox for the first time, the first setup screen appeared, offering me a choice of boot options. I chose to boot into Linux Mint 16 with Cinnamon.

At this point the screen went black and stayed black.

I waited for several minutes, but there was no change (even though I could see there was a lot of drive activity).

I powered down the MintBox and tried again. The second time, I got a brief graphic display which did not line up well with the screen, and then the screen went black again.

And this happened the next time as well.

So I did a little Google research and found that others had experienced similar problems.

The 19-inch monitor supports a good range of resolutions -- I've used it extensively with one of my laptops -- but evidently the Fit-VGA dongle defaults to a higher resolution than the monitor will process.

I eventually gave up on that monitor and brought in my new Samsung 27-inch monitor which directly supports HDMI.

Now, here's the irony: once I had an HDMI monitor connected, everything went well ... but the initial resolution was LOWER than some resolutions which I know are supported by the 19-inch VGA monitor.

So, it seems that if I start with HDMI, I get a modest resolution, but if I start with VGA I get an impossibly high resolution.

So, uh, yeah.

Is there any way to configure Linux (Mint 16) to talk to that Fit-VGA dongle and tell it to use a reasonable resolution? You know, FORCE it to use a reasonable resolution? Or are we going to have two smart devices arguing about which is the best resolution to use?

One of the reasons I'm adopting the MintBox 2 is to use in limited spaces. The desk where I want to set it up has room for a 19-inch monitor, but not a 27-inch monitor.

The 19-inch monitor works just fine rendering bigger screens for my laptop. It seemed to me that, for a mostly unattended server installation, a smaller monitor would be quite appropriate.

Can you offer any advice for getting this combination to work?

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Sorry for the inconvenience, but fit-VGA is not supported by the Intense PC and MintBox 2:
http://fit-pc.com/download/app-notes/ap ... bility.pdf

You can return the fit-VGA and get a refund. Please use other adapter to run VGA displays, either DP to VGA or HDMI to VGA.

pettis

Post by pettis »

Scribe wrote:I just unboxed my first Fit-PC MintBox 2 last night.

I connected a wireless Logitech K400 keyboard with integrated touchpad (which works just fine, thanks), and a 19-inch Acer LED VGA monitor.

I used the Fit-VGA dongle to connect the monitor (HDMI-to-VGA).

When I booted up the MintBox for the first time, the first setup screen appeared, offering me a choice of boot options. I chose to boot into Linux Mint 16 with Cinnamon.

At this point the screen went black and stayed black.

I waited for several minutes, but there was no change (even though I could see there was a lot of drive activity).

I powered down the MintBox and tried again. The second time, I got a brief graphic display which did not line up well with the screen, and then the screen went black again.

And this happened the next time as well.

So I did a little Google research and found that others had experienced similar problems.

The 19-inch monitor supports a good range of resolutions Yahoo mail login -- I've used it extensively with one of my laptops -- but evidently the Fit-VGA dongle defaults to a higher resolution than the monitor will process.

I eventually gave up on that monitor and brought in my new Samsung 27-inch monitor which directly supports HDMI.

Now, here's the irony: once I had an HDMI monitor connected, everything went well ... but the initial resolution was LOWER than some resolutions which I know are supported by the 19-inch VGA monitor.

So, it seems that if I start with HDMI, I get a modest resolution, but if I start with VGA I get an impossibly high resolution.

So, uh, yeah.

Is there any way to configure Linux (Mint 16) to talk to that Fit-VGA dongle and tell it to use a reasonable resolution? You know, FORCE it to use a reasonable resolution? Or are we going to have two smart devices arguing about which is the best resolution to use?

One of the reasons I'm adopting the MintBox 2 is to use in limited spaces. The desk where I want to set it up has room for a 19-inch monitor, but not a 27-inch monitor.

The 19-inch monitor works just fine rendering bigger screens for my laptop. It seemed to me that, for a mostly unattended server installation, a smaller monitor would be quite appropriate.

Can you offer any advice for getting this combination to work?
fit-VGA is not supported by the Intense PC and MintBox 2

Return to “Linux on Intense PC”