Intense PC locks up ... possible SATA connector issue?

Will.Rubin

Intense PC locks up ... possible SATA connector issue?

Post by Will.Rubin »

tl;dr: Think I have hardware issue, possibly w/ internal SATA connector ... should I RMA?

Hello,

I recently purchased an Intense PC Pro Barebone and am having issues with it. Guessing, the problem _might_ be with the SATA hard drive connector and the drive as attached to the access plate.

My configuration is as follows:
-- Intense PC Pro Barebone
-- G.SKILL 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
-- Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW180A3K5 2.5" 180GB
-- Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

PC is mounted on rolling "Ergotron" stand along with monitor and keyboard arms.

I've tried wiping and reinstalling Windows three times now w/o success.
Here are the three attempts:

==> Try 1: Default BIOS except HD set to AHCI and SSD
This was my "blind" try expecting things to just work. I had lots of trouble getting Windows to install and when I finally succeeded I noticed the Windows event log filled with ATAPI errors.
Kept locking up so I figured I'd try a reinstall. This lead me to my first observation.

The screws and drive cage on the bottom of the Intense PC cover only allow the drive to be positioned exactly, with no "sliding room." The problem seems to be that when I screw the access cover down fully the connector end pulls away from a "fully tight" position just slightly (a few mm). This seems to be causing a flaky connection to the drive. [See attached photos]

Kept this setup for one day.

==> Try 2: Default BIOS except HD set to AHCI and SSD. Loosened access cover screw so I could get tighter connector fit.
This allowed me to get Windows installed properly, but now getting consistent BSOD errors, which lead me towards even more suspecting the drive connection.
BSOD occur one to three times a day, often when not using or even near the PC.

BSOD Dump:
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntoskrnl.exe
CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x000000f4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xfffffa800f32a750, 0xfffffa800f32aa30, 0xfffff80002f9a470)
*** ntoskrnl.exe - Address 0xfffff80002c92c40 base at 0xfffff80002c1d000 DateStamp 0x50e79935

When PC tries to restart itself:
Intel Boot Agent GE v1.3.95
Initializing and Establishing Link ...
PXE-E61: Media Tests Failure, Check Cable
PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel Boot Agent

To restart I have to long hold button on back for full reset. That works ... until next BSOD.

Kept this setup for about a week, trying various tweaks with no success. I suspect the access cover might slides out a bit with screw not being fully tightened.

==> Try 3: Default BIOS except HD set to IDE. Kept loose access cover screw for tighter connector fit.
I saw the thread (http://www.fit-pc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=3005) about the Intel SSDs so I wanted to try as suggested there.
Note: if there is still a problem with Intel SSDs you should put this in big letters someplace on the product page. I like these SSDs, but could have easily bought another brand if I had known of a compatibility issue.
Installed OK (process now down to about 3 or so hrs). But now lots of lockups, no useful event log information, and PC will not shut down properly to even get back to boot loader stage.
The errors are not consistent like they were before and don't give me any useful information.

Been a couple days, but this attempt clearly provided no fix.

Any suggestions?

Edited to add stress test info.
I ran the following stress tests at various times:
-- Memtest86+ two separate times for 12+ hrs. (about 8 passes) No errors.
-- Prime95 mostly CPU test for a few hours. No errors.
-- Rthdribl (graphics) for an hour or so. No errors.
-- FurMark (graphics) for a short while. Very boring: < 4 fps. No errors.
-- Intel SSD Toolbox full diagnostic scan two times / separate formats. No errors.

Finally, here is my installation process in case you notice something clearly wrong:
-- Install Windows from flash drive.
-- Install Intense PC Drivers.
-- Install Windows Updates.
-- Install Intel SSD Toolbox (and run)
-- Run Intel Driver Update Utility (url)
-- Finds updated driver for 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection.
-- Disable hibernate. From elevated Cmd prompt: powercfg -h off
-- Disable Drive Indexing
-- Run services.msc
-- Stop and Disable "Windows Search" service
-- Adjust Power Settings (No sleep and no screen blank)
-- Run Microsoft Fixit to disable Gadgets (MicrosoftFixit50906.msi).
-- Run ClearType Tuner. (Control Panel\Appearance and Personalization\Display then Adjust ClearType)
-- Remove "append Shortcut" prefix (via registry).
-- Start Menu Customizations:
-- Show Desktop Toolbar
-- Show Quick Launch
-- Turn off Grouping
-- Customize Menu Options (show ctrl panel, admin, etc.)
-- Power Button Sleeps
-- Install Microsoft Security Essentials.

I install no application software. I've been testing using RDP to other machines only.
Attachments
Note no gap when access cover screw is not in place.
Note no gap when access cover screw is not in place.
ScrewOut-Small.jpg (162.76 KiB) Viewed 12124 times
Note the gap at the SATA connector side when the access cover screw is fully tightened.
Note the gap at the SATA connector side when the access cover screw is fully tightened.
ScrewIn-Small.jpg (201.9 KiB) Viewed 12124 times

irads

Re: Intense PC locks up ... possible SATA connector issue?

Post by irads »

Thanks for the detailed report.
I think it indicates two sets of problems - (1) and (2) relate to a problem between the computer / SATA interface and SSD which apparently was resolved by SATA mode setting in BIOS.

The current problem (3) is difficult to diagnose due to its intermittent nature, but I think the exhaustive tests you have been running make a HW issue unlikely. I don't see an apparent issue with your installation process either.

I would suggest cross-checking with another installation (eg Linux) or the same Windows installation on a standard hard-disk, but I am aware this kind of research may be very time consuming (CompuLab is selling Intense PC pre-installed with Win7 Pro, but it differs from the configuration you are building so I would not suggest it).

Will.Rubin

Post by Will.Rubin »

Hi, Thanks for the reply but I still have questions.

If I fully tighten the screw on the access plate I get errors.
Is that normal?
Is it normal to have the gap I show in the pics?

Is there still a problem with Intel SSDs?
If so, what are the details (where can I read about it)?
I don't really want to run as IDE because it's about a 12% performance hit according to various web reviews/tests.

Will.Rubin

Post by Will.Rubin »

Also, I ran Puppy from USB last evening. Worked OK for the short time I tested it. If I can, I will try installing Ubuntu or other full size distro to the drive and see if that works.

irads

Post by irads »

The gap is a few tenths mm and is normal. I would not rule out a contact problem with Sata you were having, but the contact travel of Sata is a few mm, so it is not that gap that is causing contact failure.

We have limited ability to check 3rd party components with our products. Sometimes customers send us hardware they want tested with the computers, but this is not the case with Intel SSDs.

Will.Rubin

Post by Will.Rubin »

Sorry to harp on this, but I still need to know about the Intel SSD. My plan was to get a stable system running and then build two more just like it. If there is an issue with Intel SSDs and the Intense PC Pro please state such and the details of the problem. I like the reliability of the Intel drives, but not if they're not certified for use with the Intense PC. I don't want to buy two more if they are not recommended.

Is there a problem using these Intel SSDs with the Intense PC?
Are they certified for use?
If there is a problem, what are the details.

Thanks

Will.Rubin

Post by Will.Rubin »

For further testing I'm going to pull the hard drive and see if I can get either SliTaz or Slax configured and loaded completely in memory. That should rule out one possible problem area completely. I'm assuming a hard drive doesn't need to be installed, but not sure?

I think I've found an older laptop with flaky mouse buttons and no hard drive. If so, I'll try putting the SSD in it and see if it works there. I haven't found an available mechanical HD to test in the Intense PC yet.

Will post results.

irads

Post by irads »

I will check with our support engineers if there are conclusive findings about Intel SSD.

Will.Rubin

Post by Will.Rubin »

Ok, I've spent a number of days trying different things and can now say that the problems I'm having are due to something internal to the Intense PC. Here are the things I've tried.

With Windows I found a user space memory tester for Windows (http://www.hcidesign.com/memtest) and tried that. Sure enough after a while memory errors would start showing up. Sometimes cascading into hundreds of errors within minutes. Shortly after these failures were reported Windows would blue screen and lock up.

In watching the hard drive side I noticed that HD indicator light will light up and just stay lit continuously. Within 30 seconds I'd loose control over Windows and the machine would reboot, not being able to find the hard drive again.

Bad HD _and_ bad memory? Possibly. First testing memory. I found two different sticks types of PC3 12800 memory. One was Kingston brand and the other a different timing G.Skill. I fully tested each of these sticks in someone else's machine, running MemTest86+ overnight and then MemTest during a full day. No errors with either stick. I tried each stick in the Intense PC and both showed no MemTest86+ errors but both showed user space errors with MemTest after working fine for various amounts of time and both blue screened Windows.

I also took the G.Skill memory I had purchased for the Intense PC and it in the borrowed PC and tested with both MemTest86+ and MemTest. No errors showed up. The laptop's owner is back as is happily using this memory with no problems at all. So it looks like there was nothing wrong with that memory.

On to Linux tests.

I've tried a bunch of live Linux distributions that can boot from USB and run in RAM. These lock up too! I can provide details on which distros I ran, but I don't think that's relevant.

Anyway, it looks like the problem is internal to the Intense PC and not one of added items. Nor does it appear to be in any software configuration.

What's the next step?

irads

Post by irads »

Please RMA the Intense PC due to memory interface issues.
Email rma@fit-pc.com to start the RMA process.

Return to “Intense PC faults and troubleshooting”