POST instantly gives 5 beeps, then stops. CPU failure?

colinmcc

POST instantly gives 5 beeps, then stops. CPU failure?

Post by colinmcc »

Today on power on, my mintbox pro instantly gives 5 buzzes, the phoenix splash screen displays, and that's it! Pressing F2 for system utilities does nothing.

Power off and back on, same thing. Grump! A quick net search tells me that 5 beeps is a CPU failure, so I am hoping that the data on the hard drive is still intact, but before contacting fit-pc for a RMA is there anything else I should try?

Thanks!
Colin
Geek by nature.. Linux by choice.. ;-)

colinmcc

Re: POST instantly gives 5 beeps, then stops. CPU failure?

Post by colinmcc »

I have now taken the HDD out and mounted it in a SATA to USB enclosure, in the hope of accessing my old files and emails etc, and it is the HDD that gives 5 beeps (more like little whines) when plugged in. So I have to assume it was a Hard Drive failure?

The HD is SAMSUNG Model: HM251HI Serial#: S237JDQZ501140

Any thoughts please?

Thank you,

Colin

colinmcc

Post by colinmcc »

I telephoned your +972-4-8290168 number, got a lady's voice on an answerphone, and emailed your support@fit-pc.com address over 24 hours ago.. No response here or from either of those. I am disappointed. I was planning on buying Mintbox 2 as a replacement, but if you can't be bothered to help in a timely manner perhaps I will have to think again.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Apologies for the delay, we were on weekend.
About the issue - sometimes HDD is a factor for system and boot failures.
Cannot say anything about the specific model, maybe the specific unit was failing. The PC support any 2.5'' drive that meet the spec however incompatibilities may occur as in any system. We do not test every HDD on the market.

MintBox 2 (based on IPC2 i5) definitely a good product choice, much more capable than MintBox Pro (based on fit-PC3).

Return to “Intense PC faults and troubleshooting”