View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Weird Bios won't update any more 

Post Re: Weird Bios won't update any more
so EVSA = EFI Variable Storage Area

From Linux you access the NON Volatile NVRAM memory ESVA memory area from /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/

each name is the <name of variable> - <GUID>

that allows multiples with the same variable name but different GUID each different vendors. (But how to id the vendors? hmm. I think that structure is lacking)

rm /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/dump-* can be cleared if they exist. They don't in my case. So it a question of what can be deleted and what can't.
It bad if you delete the wrong thing.

It would interesting to know what factory fresh PC has stored in that space before os install. Then after a windows install. And then after Linux install.
mapping what uses what variable.

seems many uefi processes won't execute if space is 50% full. Many automatic clearance routines in UEFI don't kickin tell it at 90% full level to recover any delete space back to availability pool. So the space could be free yet the pool does note that. (Wonder if the a Linux ESVA cleanup tool?)

So EVSA might be mark 50%+ full. The CMOS battery is a rechargeable bonded to PCB if not mistaken. Clearing Bios I don't think is going to clear the ESVA. Or reset it. And if it did will windows and Linux still work.

I need to compare both machines ESVA locations and note the differences.
That clue me in and what's out of place variable wise. I likely what could be deleted.

I saw a note rebooting the machine 10 times uses 3K a reboot and the ten time might engage the auto cleaner the tenth time for a uefi. No clue if its true. Reboot mine a bunch of times but no luck there.

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2