No boot of onboard HDD if a nonbootable USB HDD is connected

Lemonheadtoo

No boot of onboard HDD if a nonbootable USB HDD is connected

Post by Lemonheadtoo »

Bios: CR_2.2.0.377 X64
Symptoms: If a nonbootable USB3.0 external storage HDD (WD MyBook 3TB) is connected to USB3.0 port on power-on there is no internal HDD Win7 OS boot. Just a black screen.

**Note: This is independent of boot order set in bios.**

I tried moving the boot devices around in the bios and even tried deleting the USB HDD as a boot device altogether. That cannot be done as it seems to be protected.

Interestingly if that same external HDD is connected to a front USB2.0 port on power-on, the startup screen appears but there is no further functionality.

This seems to be only true of USB3.0 devices. The on-board HDD booted normally when testing with a USB2.0 thumbdrive.

Please advise.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: No boot of onboard HDD if a nonbootable USB HDD is conne

Post by gabrielh »

Please press "Shift +1" to exclude USB3 HDD from boot devices
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Lemonheadtoo

Post by Lemonheadtoo »

If I do this <Shift>1 the system just hangs at the splash screen. F2 is unresponsive at this point as well. Note: My WD MyBook 3TB is powered externally by a DC supply.

I tested using a colleagues WD Mypassport USB3.0 which is powered off the USB bus. There was no problem. The system booted properly.

I need to have the WD MyBook in the system at startup.

Any ideas?

Lemonheadtoo

Post by Lemonheadtoo »

This is the same issue that SIRK posted on Oct. 23, 2012. You posted that the "root of the issue is in the bios". :( Looks like it is still there.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

I have made a test with USB3 external powered My Book Essential without any issues. I think the issue related to the specific external drive.
Gabriel Heifets

Lemonheadtoo

Post by Lemonheadtoo »

I have more drives (I think 3 or 4) of the same type, I will test. I think they are all of recent manufacture date. But not sure. Thanks.

Lemonheadtoo

Post by Lemonheadtoo »

How many times did you test the boot? I tested three different WD MyBook 3TB drives. Interestingly one booted properly...but only one time. The other times each one inconsistantly gave either the startup screen or blank screen. I think there is a logic race going on here depending on what device comes up and says "I'm here" first. Onboard I have a Hitachi 500gb sata 5400RPM HDD. If you can boot every time with the WD connected, I'd almost bet that you are using a solid state drive. Am I correct?

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

I use Hitachi 160GB HDD. I did 10 power cycles without any failure. Does this WD model is the only USB3 device you have tried with Intense PC?
Gabriel Heifets

Lemonheadtoo

Post by Lemonheadtoo »

Hi Gabriel,
Sorry I never responded. No, I tried non-powered USB3 thumb-drives and also two different model Seagate 3TB USB3 ext. drives and did NOT have this problem. I think it is a unique combo of a certain motherboard and that WD drive. I saw on a WD forum where certain laptops exhibited this same behavior. Odd that your WD model did not have the problem. Perhaps they changed something for the blessed US models. :) Thanks for the ideas.

Return to “Intense PC BIOS”