I want to load 'reFIND' in EFI Bios.

emurach

I want to load 'reFIND' in EFI Bios.

Post by emurach »

First I'm using x400 Bios

I have the ESP(EFI Partition) and EFI. If I pull the Hard Drive I drop into EFI Shell.

In Win7x64P, I did a CMD (Admin), mountvol s: /s to mount the efi as s: in the CMD Terminal windows.

I manually copied Grapical EFI Boot Manager 'reFIND' ver 8.7 to in S:\EFI\Refind and set up the full directory structure just like my laptop.

However, the x400 Bios pnly sees Windows Boot Manager. My Asus and the Arock see any *.EFI app in the tree and directly run it. But the Intense doesn't.

I guess I could use efi shell and changed nvram variable bs0: to point refind vise Windows boot Manager. I did that on the recent Asrock reload.

But I can only see and get to internal shell launch point when the Boot Drive is not connected. Catch 22 in the BIOS. Though maybe the SATA port is Hotswap. Maybe I can pull the Drive, Get into shell 2.31, then connect the drive, do a refresh of drive then changed bs0: to point to "refind_x64.efi'. It's all tricky.

But if can get to refind running. I'll be able to launch Setup, Windows, +Memtest 5.10 Pro, Acronis EFI recovery app, ubuntu, etc.. EFI's easily through the manager with the mouse just like I do on my big boy laptop and my sisters Asrock Desktop.

emurach

Re: I want to load 'reFIND' in EFI Bios.

Post by emurach »

I've placed reFIND in the EFI partition. But having trouble editing the boot mangers priority list in nvram. The internal 2.3.1 shell for tiano in the x400 bios is very limited. the BCFG isn't availiable like in the newest shell. Going to try use a refind bootable key and to use the newest shell from that key to edit the boot menu.

emurach

Post by emurach »

Well yes I can create a usb refind key and boot into refind from it. Then launch the 2.0 shell and use bcfg. Typing 'bcfg boot dump' shows me the boot menu in order of option. It matches the UEFI setup's boot menu with 14 choices. In UEFI bcfg boot dump has From 00 to 0D. I can add but the 00 entry grays out if I add 0E entry. If I reboot the windows choice drops from the list in UEFI setup and Shell. BUt we can still boot to windows. I can change the entries with bcfg but the changes do not stick.
REboot and the changes are reversed. so all can do is place it \efi\Microsoft\boot. rename it bootmgfw.efi since uefi didn't see refind_x64.efi is setup boot list. Yes renamed to the ms entry. it works but now I need a uefi Bluetooth driver.

emurach

Post by emurach »

I got refind to work on IntensePC. Now if I just get Bluetooth wireless keyboard support. OR a Hid Proxy Bluetooth key. Or a Logitech K810 keyboard that also does Unifying like the new MX 2 Mouse does.

I wish refind had a mouse driver verse keyboard only and now touch.

Return to “Intense PC BIOS”