HDMI Audio

csimon

HDMI Audio

Post by csimon »

In Windows Control Panel for sound devices, the HDMI port is shown as supporting 2-channels only, i.e. stereo PCM or multichannel compressed audio such as Dolby Digital.

Is it a limitation in the Intense PC HDMI port and/or its driver that uncompressed multichannel audio cannot be sent, or is it a limitation of the device on the other end, i.e. my TV?

mbirger

Re: HDMI Audio

Post by mbirger »

Well, HDMI audio port support 2 channels. I don't see any limitations.
SPDIF digital output supports 7.1 channel devices.

csimon

Post by csimon »

HDMI audio can support 8 channels of uncompressed audio, therefore 2 channels is a limit imposed on this particular HDMI implementation, therefore it's a limitation. Are you saying that the HDMI port on the Intense PC can only support 2 channels? I was trying to found out if this limit is applied on the Intense PC or whether it's imposed by the TV that it's connected to, because of handshaking.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Intense PC HDMI port audio behave according to HDMI specifications.

csimon

Post by csimon »

Does that mean it can do 8 channels or can it only do 2?

HDMI specs say 2 channels is mandatory, 8 channels is optional, if I'm reading it correctluy.

I'm trying to find out what the Intense PC is capable of, as I'm only getting 2 channels and I don't know where the problem lies. Does no-one know the answer? You've said it supports 2 channels but that doesn't answer my question. Does it also support 8 channels or can it ONLY support 2 channels

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

I don't remember HDMI standard line by line.
You can review it online or the best is to test it.

csimon

Post by csimon »

I have read the HDMI specs, as I've said above.

I don't know how to test the HDMI port on the Intense PC, could you tell me how to do that?

The symptom is that Windows won't set more than 2 channels for the HDMI port. I don't know whether this is caused by the device that is connected to it (becuase of HDMI handshaking) or if the Intense PC doesn't support more than 2 channels. I thought I'd ask the experts here but no-one seems to be able to answer, or even understand my question.

I don't know how else to phrase the same question. Does no-one know the answer? Here are several other ways of asking the question, are you able to understand what I am asking?:

1. Does the Intense PC support 8 channels of audio on the HDMI port?

2. Does the Intense PC support 2 channels only and not 8 channels?

3. Does the Intense PC implement the optional 8 channel support of HDMI?

4. Is 2 channels the only number of channels that the Intense PC will support?

If you don't know the answer, could you reply "I don't know the answer" and say if there is any way of contacting or finding out from someone who has techincal knowledge of the Intense PC in order to answer the question, as I thought this was the place to ask technical questions for the Intense PC.

Return to “Audio”