FitPC2 suddenly switching off

Issues specific to fit-PC2i
AndrueCope

FitPC2 suddenly switching off

Post by AndrueCope »

My FitPC suddenly seems to be switching itself off every hour. It's running Win7 and has been happily doing so 24/7 since I got it nearly two years ago. There's nothing in the Windows event logs. It's done it twice now and when I attach a screen it's showing 'operating system not found'. If I reboot it it goes into Win7 without a complaint (other than asking if I want safe mode).

I'm guessing it must be hardware related but could it just be the PSU or is it a dead FitPC?
Last edited by AndrueCope on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: FitPC2 suddenly switching off

Post by gabrielh »

Hello

Please try another HDD drive. Please update me with the results.
Also please check if the FitPC2 is not located in closed, unventilated environment.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

AndrueCope

Post by AndrueCope »

You were right. There's been a firmware upgrade for my SSD. Actually made me laugh when I read it:

"Release Date: 01/13/2012
Change Log:
Changes made in version 0009 (m4 can be updated to revision 0309 directly from either revision 0001, 0002, or 0009)
Correct a condition where an incorrect response to a SMART counter will cause the m4 drive to become unresponsive after 5184 hours of Power-on time. The drive will recover after a power cycle, however, this failure will repeat once per hour after reaching this point. The condition will allow the end user to successfully update firmware, and poses no risk to user or system data stored on the drive.
This firmware update is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED for drives in the field. Although the failure mode due to the SMART Power On Hours counter poses no risk to saved user data, the failure mode can become repetitive, and pose a nuisance to the end user. If the end user has not yet observed this failure mode, this update is required to prevent it from happening.
If you are using a SAS Expander please do not download this Firmware. As soon as we have a Firmware Update that will work in these applications we will release it."

I bought that drive on the 24th of June which means it had been running for around 220 days which is about 5200 hours. The machine now fails approximately every hour. I think there's a conclusion to be drawn here :lol:

sfzhi

Post by sfzhi »

Do you mind sharing which type of SSD it is?

AndrueCope

Post by AndrueCope »

It's a Crucial CT064 M4.

The link to firmware upgrade page is here:

http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx

For what it's worth my server has been fine since the upgrade. I had some fun and games getting it to boot off the USB stick though. In the end the only way to stop my Fit from booting off the HDD was to exclude the HDD from boot. Even though the USB stick was ahead of it in priority (and the week before I'd booted off a different stick) it just wasn't having it.

Return to “fit-PC2i hardware”