USB 3 unmouts and re-mount unattendedly

niraviry

USB 3 unmouts and re-mount unattendedly

Post by niraviry »

We use lots of IPC and IPC2 under Linux Mint 17 and 17.2 with External USB 3.0 SSD manufactured by Zalman.
Up till now we used the ZM-VE400 which worked perfectly. Recently we got the new model - ZM-VE500 (with F/W versions 1.1 & 2.0).
We experience strange behavior with the VE500 only on the IPC (i7 CPU gen 2).
The USB drive is randomly disconnects (self unmounted) and immediately re-mount. This kills long copy sessions we run.
This does not happen on the IPC under USB2.0 or with IPC2 under USB 3.0 nor USB2.0.
It also dows not happen with other PCs (DELL HP under Windows).
I can't tell what is wrong as this is a singular combination and I do not believe the USB enclosure with its SSD can run self unmount oiperation.
I do not see any visual drop in the LCD display of the Ve500 so I guess power is not lost.
I can add that it happens in more than one IPC.

mbirger

Re: USB 3 unmouts and re-mount unattendedly

Post by mbirger »

Interop issues are not rare when using different manufacturing in one setup.
I suggest to keep working with the tested one.

niraviry

Post by niraviry »

Hi Maxim.

The tested one is obsolete. The new one is SATA III internally while the older one is SATA II.
Furthermore, it is the same manufacturer but new product.
As you remember we have tested together several USB3.0 enclosures. The Zalman is the bets enclosure I have seen till now.
I do not see and performance difference between the IPC and IPC2.
The only difference is this mount dropping for a split of a second.
Anything I can do?

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Yes, Nir I remember, but unfortunately I am not familiar with these adapters so can't really say anything, especially after IPC2 and IPC are pretty mature.

niraviry

Post by niraviry »

Thanks.

I will use the IPC2 for this mission. I am expecting IPC2 C5600 in a short while. I hope I will not have any issue with it.

Return to “Linux on Intense PC”