E3950 vs J3455 vs Gemini Lake

Moderator: Andrey.Mazlin

bgaillard

E3950 vs J3455 vs Gemini Lake

Post by bgaillard »

Hello,

There are two versions of the Fitlet2 CPU option that are quite similar (core number, frequency range):
- Atom x7-E3950
- Celeron J3455

However the J3455 seems to be slightly faster and it gets better benchmark scores.

How is it that the J3455 version is less expensive than the E3950 one then? What is the point of purchasing the E3950 version? Does it have more features in compensation? Or am I missing something?

And an additional question if I may: is a Gemini Lake upgrade planned for the Fitlet2 (which is Apollo Lake-based) in the near future? The Goldmont Plus CPU core has some interesting improvements, namely:
- better performance (in general and with AES encryption)
- revamped GPU with better video hardware acceleration support

The Pentium Silver J5005 would make a nice addition to the Fitlet lineup but would probably require a motherboard redesign for DDR4 support.

tamir
Site Admin

Re: E3950 vs J3455 vs Gemini Lake

Post by tamir »

It is true that the Celeron has overall better performance per Watt but the Atom has double the clock speed than the Celeron.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... rview.html

Unfortunately there are no current plans to update the platform to Gemini Lake SoC.

curby

Re: E3950 vs J3455 vs Gemini Lake

Post by curby »

I know this is a really old thread, but I'm comparing the two myself and have similar questions.

Re: tamir's post, the Atom has a 2x base clock on its GPU, and a slightly higher base clock on its CPU cores, but the Celeron has higher max clocks on both. This Intel site compares these and other specs:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 5594,96488

Due to pricing and availability, I think I'm leaning towards the Celeron.

Return to “fitlet2 hardware”