Unable to access NVMe drive

Moderator: Andrey.Mazlin

muttch

Unable to access NVMe drive

Post by muttch »

Hello,

I recently brought a FILET2-CE3950-WI8260 and added on a supported RAM and a 240 gb drive. My newly brought NVMe 2242 disk from the " Toshiba Ocz RC100" series seems to not be recognised by the hardware. Since this is a new product from Toshiba I expected some troubles, yet unable to find the cause. I brought the 240 GB drive which is a " PCI Express 3.1 x2 (NVMe)".

In additional to this am unable to update the BIOS with the supplied BIOS drivers @http://fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fitlet2:_BIOS_Files so am forced to run on a stock installed BIOS. Following the procedure am greeted by a unable to read file message on screen.

After some troubles I managed to USB boot into a windows installation only by using a USB 2.0, none of my Kingston 3.0 would boot into UFEI. The installation managed to case an array of BSOD, every time a different one, yet was unable to access the harddisk there either as expected but gave it a shot anyway.

Could your team please assist in finding out where the problem with this device lies?

Is it a BIOS setting am not changing to the correct value?

tamir
Site Admin

Re: Unable to access NVMe drive

Post by tamir »

Hi,

Unfortunately fitlet2 does not support NVMe storage devices, rather M.2 SATA storage device.

Can you please state in which step you had difficulties in updating your BIOS version?

muttch

Post by muttch »

Alright, I guess that should have been checked twice before buying a NVMe storage device, but i can use this for other projects in the future.

For the second question am having huge troubles installing windows on this machine:
WINDOWS:
Booting with a USB 3.0 i can forget about, the Bios is unable to reccognise the USB sticks, no matter if i use front or back ports ( usb 3.0 should be backwards compatible if am not mistaken?). Using these USB sticks for reference both being the 16GB versions. Also tried with different non-branded usb sticks.

https://www.kingston.com/en/usb/persona ... ss/dtse9g2

DataTraveler SE9
and
DataTraveler SE9 G2 3.0

Had to change the BIOS setting to Windows to be able to get further yet every time i get a BlueScreen, and every time its a different error. Thus me suspecting a configuration error?

BIOS:

My next hope was to update the BIOS which i loaded onto a non-brand 8gb USB.

Connect the prepared UFD to the target fitlet2 and power up
Press the DEL key during the boot until the BIOS Setup appears
Browse to the Save & Exit menu
Click on the Launch EFI Shell from filesystem device option
The system will boot to the EFI Shell and after 4 seconds the automatic script will start
Please do not press ESC while the countdown
The script will find the Storage Device with BIOS update application

Type the following command: flash flt2.bin and press the Enter key
The BIOS flashing process will start

When the process ends and the prompt line appears, type the command: reset and press the Enter key.

Marked in bold is where I fail to continue.

fred44nl

Post by fred44nl »

are you sure your usb-sticks are bootable ??
I have made an usb-stick 2.0 with Debain, booted from it and did the installation.
so, it is possible :)

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

Please try to follow the below guide step by step:
http://fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/How_to ... _UEFI_mode

It should include the instructions to prepare the USB boot-able flash drive.

Regarding updating your firmware, please make sure that the files are present on the flash drive from the BIOS updater package:

AfuEfix64.efi
Flash.nsh
Shellx64.efi
Startup.nsh

And extract the flt2.bin file from the fitlet2 BIOS packages into the root directory of the flash drive:
http://fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Fitlet2:_BIOS_Files

Afterwards, make sure you don't hit ESC prematurely at the EFI shell, as it automatically finds the flash drive .

if you have doubt that your USB flash drive isn't recognized, you can confirm that by accessing the BIOS menu and see at:

BIOS menu
Advanced
USB Configuration
USB Devices --> You should see here all recognized devices.

muttch

Post by muttch »

Ive shifted out the RAM memory and redownloaded the files.

After the BIOS update ran without troubles, and the OS booted up on the usb 2.0 device and installed fully.

Thus it seems that it was a corrupt file and RAM memory issue ( or old bios). Tested the PC now for 2 hours without Bluescreen.

Thx

Return to “General fitlet2 questions”