CentOS 5.4 - IDE controller patch

yogev_ezra

CentOS 5.4 - IDE controller patch

Post by yogev_ezra »

Install guide for IDE controller patch on CentOS 5.4:
This guide assumes that CentOS 5.4 is already installed on your Fit-PC2

1) Download attached pata_sch.rar and extract pata_sch.ko
2) Copy pata_sch.ko to /lib/modules/2.6.18-164.el5/extra/ folder on your Fit-PC2
3) Run depmod
4) mv /boot/initrd-2.6.18-164.el5.img /boot/initrd-2.6.18-164.el5.img.bak
5) mkinitrd --preload libata --preload pata_sch /boot/initrd-2.6.18-164.el5.img 2.6.18-164.el5
6) Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst – look for the line like this:

Code: Select all

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-164.el5 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
Add the following string to the end of the line:

hda=noprobe hda=none hdb=noprobe hdb=none reboot=b
7) Save and reboot

After reboot, execute "hdparm -t /dev/sda" to verify that the patch is applied correctly.
You should get speeds of about 50-60 MB/sec

EDIT: Added link to alternate download location
Compiled module: http://www.fit-pc2.com/download/centos/IDE/pata_sch.zip
Source code: http://www.fit-pc2.com/download/centos/ ... source.zip
Installation instructions: http://www.fit-pc2.com/download/centos/ ... me_IDE.txt
Attachments
pata_sch.rar
(53.35 KiB) Downloaded 598 times
Last edited by yogev_ezra on Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yogev_ezra

Re: CentOS 5.4 - IDE controller patch

Post by yogev_ezra »

FAQ and known issues

Problem #1: Sometimes the computer is stuck at boot time. After the line "ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes...", the computer stops any activity and keyboard stops responding.
Boot_time_stuck.jpg
Boot_time_stuck.jpg (83.25 KiB) Viewed 16452 times
Solution: Make sure to disable CPU C-States in BIOS
(Go to CPU Control Sub-Menu and set "Processor Full Speed" to "GV3 Only").
BIOS.JPG
BIOS.JPG (59.89 KiB) Viewed 16454 times
Problem #2: When "hdparm" command is executed with certain parameters (i.e., "d1", "b1"), it returns "Inappropriate ioctl for device" error.
hdparm.jpg
hdparm.jpg (64.75 KiB) Viewed 16454 times
Solution: This is expected behavior. "hdparm" command only fully supports PATA (IDE) drives. Since you have SATA drive, only certain "hdparm" options will work. See: http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/cento ... 09763.html

trixboxer

Post by trixboxer »

yogev_ezra I am presently testing your CentOS Linux kernel module patch for the Fit-PC2. I am testing against CentOS kernel 2.6.18-128.1.10.el5. While still very early in the testing stage, it does appear to be working correctly. I will post further updates as testing progresses.

I much appreciate your effort in providing this patch and I am willing to donate toward the development cost. However I have two requests prior to making a donation:
  • 1. I cannot place a third party - binary only - patch of this nature into production. Can you please provide source code in accordance to the Linux Kernel's GPL license.

2. Could you please provide a Paypal or similar account for me to send the donation to.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

I don't have the source code myself; I have received the compiled module from the developer I contracted, and for me that was good enough. I will see what can be done in obtaining the source code. Anyway, I believe it was the standard pata_sch.ko module available in later kernels, and the actual contribution was a guide how to make this module load and enable DMA.

EDIT: As I guessed, the source was just taken as is from the vanilla kernel. Attached hereby.

Paypal account is yogev.ezra(AT)gmail.com
Attachments
pata_sch_source.rar
(2.11 KiB) Downloaded 606 times

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

I would like to thank trixboxer for his kind 50$ donation. There is just 450$ more to go :roll:

I am a bit disappointed in the lack of feedback from anyone besides trixboxer, who was not even registered to the forums at the time the drivers were posted, but made an effort and registered just for that! I was expecting at least some feedback from all those who downloaded the driver so far...

grae

Post by grae »

Let me preface this post with the fact that I don't have a fitpc, but an embedded PC104 board with similar hardware. Regardless, found your post most helpful, even if your driver did not work for me.

So, wanted to share a few links with you and the rest of this group:

http://bugs.centos.org/bug_view_advance ... ug_id=3720
http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResour ... CentOSPlus
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/cento ... s.i686.rpm

The short version is that last link is an official CentOS 5 kernel, already supporting the pata_sch module. All signed, bundled, and ready to go. It's only flaw is that the initrd doesn't have pata_sch in it....

Which is where your instructions for rebuilding the initrd & disabling the stock IDE controller come in. Not sure though what means you found that information, but hopefully a prepackaged kernel is sufficient thank you and kudos for that.

Cheers,
- grae

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

grae wrote:your driver did not work for me.
Could you please elaborate more on this matter? What have you done exactly and what result you got? Also, what board you have?
grae wrote:The short version is that last link is an official CentOS 5 kernel, already supporting the pata_sch module. All signed, bundled, and ready to go. It's only flaw is that the initrd doesn't have pata_sch in it....
I am aware of the links above (in fact, the top one was created by Fit-PC2 user who originally discovered this issue and tried to solve it) but sorry to disappoint you this is not a "stock" kernel. This is a CentOSPlus kernel that provides additional drivers for CentOS.

grae

Post by grae »

yogev_ezra wrote:Could you please elaborate more on this matter? What have you done exactly and what result you got? Also, what board you have?
Well, tried a number of things, including pulling in the driver during the installer. I think the error that I received was a version mismatch on some of the block device APIs. Don't have the error in front of me, but can try to check tomorrow morning if you're curious. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it was some odd incompatibility with the installer kernel that I saw...

Anway, the board:
http://versalogic.com/products/ds.asp?productid=207
yogev_ezra wrote:I am aware of the links above (in fact, the top one was created by Fit-PC2 user who originally discovered this issue and tried to solve it) but sorry to disappoint you this is not a "stock" kernel. This is a CentOSPlus kernel that provides additional drivers for CentOS.
I said that the kernel appears official, and is on the mirrors. I did not say that it was stock, or part of the base installation. I was only commenting that tweaking a config file, and letting yum handle the install might be a bit easier than copying an anonymous archive into place on each kernel release. It might also be more acceptable to IT guys, like those trixboxer works for.

Anyway, glad to hear you guys are already in the know. Just wanted to mention it in case it saved other folks some head banging.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

grae wrote:I think the error that I received was a version mismatch on some of the block device APIs. Don't have the error in front of me, but can try to check tomorrow morning if you're curious.
I would appreciate if you could post the error. What CentOS version did you install? Does it have 2.6.18.164 kernel?

grae

Post by grae »

pata_sch: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
pata_sch: Unknown symbol ata_scsi_ioctl
pata_sch: Unknown symbol ata_std_bios_param
pata_sch: Unknown symbol ata_bmdma_port_ops
pata_sch: Unknown symbol ata_cable_unknown
pata_sch: Unknown symbol ata_pci_sff_activate_host
pata_sch: Unknown symbol ata_pci_device_resume
pata_sch: Unknown symbol ata_pci_device_suspend
pata_sch: Unknown symbol ata_scsi_slave_config
pata_sch: Unknown symbol ata_pci_sff_prepare_host
pata_sch: Unknown symbol ata_scsi_queuecmd
pata_sch: Unknown symbol ata_scsi_slave_destroy
pata_sch: Unknown symbol ata_pci_remove_one
pata_sch: Unknown symbol ata_sff_interrupt
Now that I look at this, I'm realizing that libata wasn't loaded, which explains a number of the above messages. After a modprobe, pata_sch fails with the expected IDE port busy.

Anyway, scratch my prior comments, looks fine now.

Return to “Other Linux distributions”