XP display problem with unbranded WXGA panel

Adam

XP display problem with unbranded WXGA panel

Post by Adam »

We're have 6 LCD panels in the windows of our office, each connected to a Dell PC. After a couple of years one of the PC's has given up and we've decided to replace it with a FitPC2i running windows XP.

The setup: Fit-PC2i -> FitVGA -> 32" widescreen Unbranded WXGA LCD panel

The problem: The monitors are basically LCD panels inside a custom steel enclosure, and we have no way to identify the make, model or brand. On the previous computers, they were running at 1360x768, and didnt seem to support any higher, so I'm assuming that's their best resolution.

The problem is that on FitPC2i they don't seem to identify themselves as a plug and play monitor, so FitPC behaves as if there's no monitor at all attached and drops into 640x480 4-bit colour.

I thought we had resolved this by downloading and installing the IEGD drivers as suggested elsewhere on this forum, and we managed to get access to 1366x768. While this is 6 pixels wider than the known maximum of the monitors, it seemed to work (although the text isnt crisp, but for the purposes of displaying photos, that's not a real issue).

But what happens during the slideshow that we're running is that we get an after-image of the previous slide displayed on top of the next one. It looks exactly like image burn-in on a monitor, but that's definitely NOT the case - I know this because when I plug one of the old dell computers in, there's no problems at all).

It also is NOT noticeable on the VNC connection, so I'm fairly sure it's not the slideshow software at fault (gPhotoShow).

Finally, I tried a slightly lower resolution (1280x768) which doesn't suffer from the same after-image problem, but instead has quite a severe flickering on the screen.

I've tried an updated version of the IEGD drivers, and also of the GMA500 drivers, but neither fixes any of the problems.

I'm tearing my hair out here, trying to get this to work. It's not made any easier by the fact the machine sits in a poorly accessible location (in the ceiling) and access to it involves using ladders and moving desks, so it's all via remote VNC access.

Can anyone suggest anything that might help?

Thanks!

Adam

irads

Re: XP display problem with unbranded WXGA panel

Post by irads »

The IEGD is available as a framework from Intel that allows generating custom display drivers.
I believe you could generate a Windows XP driver that works in the specified resolution.
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/embedded/h ... tware/iegd

Adam

Re: XP display problem with unbranded WXGA panel

Post by Adam »

I did have a look at that, but it seems to require quite a bit of information about the capabilities of the LCD panel, and not having any information at all about the panel itself, and not enough knowledge to know what I'm doing in that regard, I steered away from it.

I have (since my original post) now realised that changing the resolution to from 1360x768 to 1280x768 is not keeping the same ratio (i know - i was tired!).

I have now tried 1280x720 which seems to solve most of my problems (flicker free, after-image/ghosting free and is the correct ratio). Just a shame I can't run it at the native resolution without these problems, but at least I have a working solution.

Return to “Windows XP”