Fit-PC2i + Ubuntu 8.04 (or any other distro)drives me insane

linusn

Fit-PC2i + Ubuntu 8.04 (or any other distro)drives me insane

Post by linusn »

Hi

About one year ago I bought a Fit-PC2i for use with a large flat screen, showing information to our employees. I installed Ubuntu 8.04 using the recovery image found here.

Now I have bought another three Fit-PC2i, and have been struggling for two days to get the graphics to work. This is driving me insane, and right now I just feel like throwing them in the garbage bin.

I have read that there are some struggle keeping the GMA500 drivers updated as Ubuntu (and other Linux distros) evolve, but I really expected that the recovery image would work, since it worked the last time.

When I boot, after all the white text on black background the screen turns completely black. I have tried three different monitors, and none of them seem to work. I have also tried installing 9.04 and 9.10, using the instructions found here. With these, I can do the installation, but the graphics drivers does not seem to work and with some of the I get a black screen after I installed the Poulsbo drivers and restarted.

Does anyone have any idea how to get this to work? I think in the end the cost for settings these up would have been much higher than the purchase. Since it worked the last time, I really expected it to work now - but that's not the case.

linusn

Re: Fit-PC2i + Ubuntu 8.04 (or any other distro)drives me in

Post by linusn »

Yep.
No black screen but very poor graphics performance.

Last thing I tried was to download an original Ubuntu 8.04 iso image, and install it from a USB flash drive. I followed instructions found in a thread in this forum and now it seems to be working. Have not had time to verify everything, but graphics performance seem much better now.
Have no idea why the recovery image did not work...

linusn

Re: Fit-PC2i + Ubuntu 8.04 (or any other distro)drives me in

Post by linusn »

So... my graphics issues seem to be solved.

The next problem is to get sound. Have tried sooooo many things found on the internet, but I have no idea how to get this running.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'd be very happy if I could get any sound on the analog output.
Hard to get a grip of how things work here. Under System->Preferences-Sound preferences there are a couple of options:
* ALC662 Digital
* ALC662 Analog
* ALSA
* OSS
* PulseAudio Sound Server

None of them seem to work.

I have also tried to edit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base and adding

Code: Select all

options snd-hda-intel model=MODEL index=0
with different models found for ALC662 found here:
http://www.mjmwired.net/kernel/Document ... Models.txt

Return to “Ubuntu 8.04”