IntensePC: Installing Linux Mint 15
From fit-PC wiki
Outdated. See Intel: Installing Linux Mint 19
Prepare installation media
- A USB DVD-ROM drive or a USB Flash drive of at least 1GB should be used as installation media
- Download Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" - MATE (64-bit)" or Linux Mint 15 "Olivia" - Cinnamon (64-bit)
- For installation with a USB DVD-ROM - flash the downloaded image directly onto a DVD
- For installation with a USB Flash drive, please follow How to install Linux Mint via USB tutorial
Base installation of Linux Mint
- Follow the standard Linux Mint installation procedure - choose timezone, partitions, username, password etc.
- Disconnect the installation media and reboot.
- Login using previously selected username and password.
XBMC and VLC
- XBMC and VLC are well known free and open-source multimedia players
- Both of them use GPU accelerated video decoding and give exellent playback quality
- Both of them compatible with the most popular video formats
sudo apt-get install xbmc vlc vainfo i965-va-driver
- XBMC will support GPU accelerated video decoding out of the box
- In VLC you need to check Tools->Preferences->Input and Codecs->Use GPU accelerated decoding checkbox to take advantage of GPU accelerated video decoding