Fit-PC3: Installing Linux Mint 13
From fit-PC wiki
Revision as of 10:03, 27 September 2018 by Irads
Outdated. See AMD: Installing Linux Mint 19
Prepare installation media
- A USB DVD/CD-ROM drive or a USB Flash drive of at least 1GB should be used as installation media.
- Download Linux Mint 13 "Maya" - MATE (64-bit)" or Linux Mint 13 "Maya" - Cinnamon (64-bit).
- For installation with a USB DVD/CD-ROM - flash the downloaded image directly onto a DVD/CD.
- For installation with a USB Flash drive, please use the "Accessories->ImageWriter" utility to create a LiveUSB or follow How to install Linux Mint via USB tutorial.
Base installation of Linux Mint 13
- Follow the standard Linux Mint installation procedure - choose timezone, partitions, username, password etc.
- Disconnect the installation media and reboot.
- Login using previously selected username and password.
ATI Catalyst video driver
- fglrx is a proprietary ATI Catalyst video driver that provides XvBA (X-video Bitstream Acceleration) support.
- Install fglrx driver and other required utilities with the command below:
sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates xvba-va-driver vainfo
- Note: system reboot is required after the installation of the fglrx driver.
XBMC with XvBA
- XBMC is a well-known free and open source media player and entertainment hub for digital media.
- The XBMC-XvBA repository provides XBMC PVR builds with direct XvBA support.
- Add the XBMC XvBA repository and install the media player:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wsnipex/xbmc-xvba-eden sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install xbmc
- XBMC will support HW video acceleration out of the box.
RTL8723AE Wi-Fi driver
- fit-PC3 devices can be assembled with the RTL8723AE PCIe chip which is not supported by mainline kernel yet.
- If you do fresh install please use rtlwifi-dkms_0007.0809.2012.deb driver.
- Compulab's Linux Mint shipped with this driver already installed.