Random system reboot

BNY

Random system reboot

Post by BNY »

The application causing this problem runs for a random amount of time and then reboots the system. Its function is to read data from a USB port and store it to a file. After reboot, two files are generated to be sent to Microsoft in the error report: mini020510-02.dmp and sysdata.xml. This application runs with no problems on other machines. Other applications that have similar functions run fine on the Fit PC2.
Operating system: Windows XP

irads

Re: Random system reboot

Post by irads »

Try changing C-states in BIOS to GV3 only.

BNY

Post by BNY »

I tried all selections under the BIOS Processor Full Speed:CV3 Only, Disabled, C-States Only and Enabled with the same random reboot problem.

gashiss

Post by gashiss »

I use xp pro and I ve come across exactly the same problem,
mini020510-02.dmp and sysdata.xml,all the same,
I ve came across this when I opened up a gmail window on mozilla,
having a lot of programs running.

BNY

Post by BNY »

Try turning off the Hyperthreading in the BIOS. I did this and the application causing the problem has been running for more than 2 hours now. It has never gone this long before.

gashiss

Post by gashiss »

I did what you told to do in your last post,
no crash since then, but it a bit of speed has been lost.
it's interesting since it seems to affect openGL stuffes
(softs which I try to test)
as an exemple I'll show you a quake 3 screenshot:

Thanks I think it will no crash anymore.
Attachments
Quake III_demo_fitpc2_ie10.3gold_bios_cpuhyperthreads_off.jpg
Quake III_demo_fitpc2_ie10.3gold_bios_cpuhyperthreads_off.jpg (220.58 KiB) Viewed 12008 times

BNY

Post by BNY »

Glad to hear this solved the problem for you as well. I also have been running without a shutdown for two days since disabling Hyperthreading. Fortunately for me processor speed it not much of an issue.

gashiss

Post by gashiss »

the unit rebooted again by itself this evening,
nothing was specialy running, it seems when the monitor put itself on sleep mode it makes rebbot the fit pc, it's a bizarre theory, but I thought it may be linked...Or maybe usb power excessed? I noted windows says my usb hub
has little voltage often?

Any ideas? it's very annoying.

irads

Post by irads »

USB ports have overcurrent protection. Turning-off display should not cause a reboot.
You may try to eliminate SW triggered reboots like Windows update.

mandaPanda

Post by mandaPanda »

Hi, I am having similar reboot issues, at it's worst my system re-booted itself around 5 times in one 5 hour session. When the system restarts I don't get any error messages from Windows (i.e. windows didn't shut down correctly . . .), Windows simply restarts straight away - is/was yours rebooting in the same way.

I am powering several devices from the USB ports (using a powered 7 port hub), these include a telescope, smart focuser and a webcam modified for astrocapture (which needs 2 USB's to run) - could these be the problem, even though the hub is powered?

I am going to change the settings in control panel -> startup and recovery, so that Windows doesn't perform auto re-start on system failure and see if any error reports are generated. The fit-pc is a work project so I can't get my hands on it till Tuesday, when I will carry out further tests - any suggestions in the meantime would be gratefully apreciated.

Return to “Windows on fit-PC2”