Possible Hardware Problem???

dcsmith

Possible Hardware Problem???

Post by dcsmith »

I have had a Fit-PC2 running Windows XP using a 30GB OCZ SSD for several years. The application is Weather data collection and logging to wunderground.com. That's all it does. I periodically update Windows patches and keep the Avira antivirus up-to-date.

Yesterday, I noticed no data going to wunderground.com. I tried connecting to the PC via Windows Remote Desktop - no luck. I then connected a monitor & keyboard to the PC. The screen was black. I rebooted the PC and noticed the familiar Windows XP logo and the "cylon" scanning back and forth. After about 30 seconds, the screen goes black and one line of text is displayed - "No Operating System".

At this point I am not sure if my SSD has gone south or if the Fit-PC2 has a hardware problem. I have tried booting to Safe Mode, but the end result is the same - "No Operating System".

I have seen this display before, but always at the beginning of the boot cycle as if the boot block on the hard drive is not readable.

I do not have a USB CD-ROM for testing.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: Possible Hardware Problem???

Post by gabrielh »

That's seems like a operating system problem. You can to reinstall an OS using a USB flash drive. Google it for several tools to prepare your USB flash installation (tools like http://wintoflash.com/home/en/).
For making the recovery process much easier in a future, you can prepare a system image of your WindowsXP system (with a Ghost like tools), and then extract it to your SSD by using an other PG and a cheap (about 4$ on ebay) Sata@USB adapter
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

dcsmith

Post by dcsmith »

Thanks. I was hoping hardware. I'm guessing the SSD went south. No reason for the OS to get corrupted - no changes except for patching.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Anyway, try to reinstall the system. Sometimes some IO glitch causes a permanent OS error. Also you have a several SSD validation tools, to see if your SSD is really had have enough.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

Charliebishop

Post by Charliebishop »

gabrielh wrote:That's seems like a operating system problem. You can to reinstall an OS using a USB flash drive. Google it for several tools to prepare your USB flash installation (tools like http://wintoflash.com/home/en/).
For making the recovery process much easier in a future, you can prepare a system image of your WindowsXP system (with a Ghost like tools), and then extract it to your SSD by using an other PG and a cheap (about 4$ on ebay) Sata@USB adapter
I am experiencing the same problem on my Fit-PC2i, "missing operating system" on a reboot.. however several resets usually fix the problem and windows loads. This is a fresh install of Win XP SP3.

The SSD came with the machine and is a RENICE X1 2.5" 32gb SSD drive - are there any known issues with compatibility here?

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

No known issues with that.

kevops

Post by kevops »

I too am seeing this quite frequently. I think its definitely a hardware issue. Re-seating the HD sometimes works. I believe the problem is with the daughterboard interface between the SD and the mobo.

Edit...We have a couple hundred FitPc's in our environment.

Return to “Windows on fit-PC2”