DVB-T HD receiver

squowse

DVB-T HD receiver

Post by squowse »

Hi, looking to change my TV/audio setup to use a efficient PC as the core to do - MP3 audio, h264 and XVID playback.

Also to receive, record and playback DVB-T in HD. For the last purpose would the fit-pc be compatible with and powerful enough for this product - http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/product ... 900hd.html

thanks
roger

gmv100

Re: DVB-T HD receiver

Post by gmv100 »

Hi Roger,

I think the answer is it depends upon the software you are using. Certainly the Fit-PC2 will be powerful enough to record programmes using that hardware, but playback will depend upon your system.

I use Ubuntu 9.10 with the latest Mythtv. Mythtv doesn't currently support the accelerated video API vaapi so video playback is using the CPU only. With that I can't play back HD video. I have been able to playback some HD video files using mplayer, but not HD video streams that I have recorded from my DVB-S tuner.

If you are buying a Fit-PC2 with Windows XP pre-installed then you will get an optimised codec that should be able to playback HD video. I can't say whether it will be compatible with your DVB-T stick though, as there is very little information available about the optimised codec.

Gareth.

squowse

Post by squowse »

anyone successfully using the fit-pc as a media center or home theater?

thanks
roger

Dominik

Post by Dominik »

gmv100 wrote: I use Ubuntu 9.10 with the latest Mythtv. Mythtv doesn't currently support the accelerated video API vaapi so video playback is using the CPU only. With that I can't play back HD video. I have been able to playback some HD video files using mplayer, but not HD video streams that I have recorded from my DVB-S tuner.
Why not? Isn't mplayer-vaapi able to play the streams? I also thougt of using vdr at my fitpc2i. But you can just use mplayer with streamdev-plugin, so you can't use the OSD-Menu :(
Therefore I dismissed the idea.

squowse

Post by squowse »

by the way i am planning on using windows 7 if possible.
need to get one or preferably two DVB-T HD tuner sticks (USB). I believe these will encode to MPEG-2 with hardware acceleration within the chip on the stick. Will the fit-pc be compatible with this. Sorry I am not fully au fait with codecs etc; I am prepared to try it and give it a go but was wondering if anyone is successfully using it for this or similar.
Thanks
Roger

Return to “fit-PC2 hardware”