Can the 2GB, 2GHz Rev 1.2 fit-PC2i run Win XP?

wysiwyg

Can the 2GB, 2GHz Rev 1.2 fit-PC2i run Win XP?

Post by wysiwyg »

Just wondering if I buy the fit-PC2i 2GB, 2GHz Rev 1.2 Diskless, can I insert a drive myself and instal win xp, or is there a reason why this configuration is not offered with a 160GB drive and Win XP?

Cheers
Mark

fly

Re: Can the 2GB, 2GHz Rev 1.2 fit-PC2i run Win XP?

Post by fly »

It is capable of running XP, but it's likely that CompuLab won't offer XP versions anymore as Microsoft ceased sale for XP. Quoting irads [1]:
irads wrote:Microsoft announced end-of-sale to Windows XP by 22-Oct-2010.
CompuLab will accept orders for fit-PC2 and fit-PC2i pre-installed with Windows XP until 15-Sep-2010.
If you have a long term project that requires fit-PC2 with Windows XP, please place your last-time-buy order by 15-Sep-2010. CompuLab will not be able to accept volume orders for Windows XP later.
[1] http://www.fit-pc2.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 6500#p6500
Last edited by fly on Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

wysiwyg

Post by wysiwyg »

fly wrote:It is capable of running XP, but it's likely that CompuLab won't offer XP versions anymore as Microsoft does not accept orders anymore.
Thanks,
But on their website they are still selling other configurations of the fit-PC2i with windows XP.
Hence why I was wondering if this config in particular wont work with XP.

But if you say it will then thats fine....

Cheers
Mark

fly

Post by fly »

But if you say it will then thats fine....
There is no reason for it not supporting XP, but you might want to wait for an official response from irads.

-edit-
I edited my previous post to include a satement from irads. It's likely they just didn't bother offering a XP version for this short period of time. So it seems that they sell whats there but newer revisions/models of fitPC2 simply don't get the XP option.

yogev_ezra

Post by yogev_ezra »

Windows XP Home Edition for Ultra-Low-Cost-PCs (the one offered with FitPC2) has a substantial discount from Microsoft to make the various net-tops and net-books more affordable. However Microsoft limits its sale for PCs with up to 1GB RAM (in order not to hinder sales of the regular Windows XP Home). Technically it will run on any PC just like the regular XP Home, but it will not be legal to use it.

irads

Post by irads »

I confirm Yogev's explanation.
However - it is legal to use XP on 2GB fit-PC2, and it would work very well.
CompuLab OEM agreement with Microsoft does not allow selling XP on 2GB RAM computers.

Return to “fit-PC2 hardware”