fit-PC2i as a router

kurylo

fit-PC2i as a router

Post by kurylo »

Hi! I want to buy fit-PC2i and use it as a wireless+wired router.
Here I have some questions:
1) It it possible to use fit-PC2i as a Wifi AP? If yes, then how?
2) I heard people had some problems with fit-PC dropping Wifi connection. Is this problem a problem of today or maybe it was solved?
3) I need 2 LAN ports. Fit-PC2i really has 2 LANs?
4) Are there some problems concerning network operation on running Linux? Windows?

P.S. If the fit-PC2 (no "i") is better with configuring it as a Wifi AP, then is it possible to somehow attach a second LAN to it? It it true that fir-PC2 has an empty slot for a mini-PCIe card? Are there any mini-PCIe LAN adapters which will fit into fit-PC2?

Thanks!

fly

Re: fit-PC2i as a router

Post by fly »

1) It it possible to use fit-PC2i as a Wifi AP? If yes, then how?
The hardware of the chips should basically support this. Most software/drivers wont.
2) I heard people had some problems with fit-PC dropping Wifi connection. Is this problem a problem of today or maybe it was solved?
I am not aware of any issues despite those common to wifi in general. Master mode might be a problem..
3) I need 2 LAN ports. Fit-PC2i really has 2 LANs?
fitPC2i has two LAN ports, yes. It uses the last pci-express lane so there is no miniPCIe port left. WiFi is available via internal (proprietary) USB port.
4) Are there some problems concerning network operation on running Linux? Windows?
Ethernet driver had some problem recognize the right revision of the chip, but this is fixed. Wifi drivers are available from ralink in staging tree or from the rt2x00 project. The latter one is incorporated into kernel mainline (on recent kernel versions). HostAP might someday work for rt3090, but there is little hope for rt3070usb.
P.S. If the fit-PC2 (no "i") is better with configuring it as a Wifi AP, then is it possible to somehow attach a second LAN to it?
You can use usb2ethernet adaptors.
It it true that fir-PC2 has an empty slot for a mini-PCIe card?
The fitPC2 has a mini-PCIe slot, yes. However, if you buy one with wireless option, this slot is used for the wifi card. Please keep in mind, that opening the case will void warranty.
Are there any mini-PCIe LAN adapters which will fit into fit-PC2?
Yes, e.g. some wifi+bluetooth dongles are available.In general half-sized miniPCIe cards will work. I am not sure for fullsized ones.
Last edited by fly on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kurylo

Post by kurylo »

The hardware of the chips should basically support this. Most software/drivers wont.
OK, but ca I configure an internal wifi module, which is installed on the PC2i to work as AP without problems after configuring somehow?

fly

Post by fly »

OK, but ca I configure an internal wifi module, which is installed on the PC2i to work as AP without problems after configuring somehow?
I am not aware of any solution to provide master mode with the built-in rt3070. But I haven't checked this for a while now. You might want to check kernellog or the rt2x00 project [1].

I don't know if you can replace the internal wifi module on fitPC2i with an know-to-work one. I know it's connected via USB line using a proprietary connection glued to the mainboard (at least this is what irads said). I don't own a fitPC2i and even if I did, I wouldn't void the warranty.

A side note: I have yet to encounter a single "AP without problems". WiFi is not trivial most times it will brake somehow when deployed -- even if it worked in the lab ;)

[1] http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Return to “fit-PC2 hardware”