Fit PC 2 will not start

setchp

Fit PC 2 will not start

Post by setchp »

My Fit-PC2 brought up a message some time ago to say an update to Ubuntu was available.
I accepted the download, and after the usual long time the system rebooted. Since then I have been unable to get the unit to start.
The two options of Ubuntu and the Ubuntu (Safe) are offered by Grub, the first just hangs, and the second fails and exits to the ash shell, but then doesn't respond to the keyboard.
I have downloaded the Ubuntu image files from the Fit site, and placed them onto a pen drive; following the instructions on the Fit site still does not help, the unit does not boot from the pen drive and I am left in the same situation as before.
I have tried to get into the Bios to check the booting order, but apart from the splash screen at the beginning offering F2 for system tools (which produces a black screen) the unit does not respond to repeated taps of the delete key as the Fit site informs will get into the BIOS.
So I have a dead unit which is currently a paperweight. Does anyone have any ideas to help me get it going again.

Many thanks
Steve

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: Fit PC 2 will not start

Post by gabrielh »

Hello

Have you tried to check your keyboard? Try to disconnect all the devises attached to fit pc. If the keyboard ok, try to attach it to different USB port, maybe one of the ports are failed.

Another thing, when you try to reinstall ubuntu, can you provide me with the step that fails?
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

setchp

Post by setchp »

I have tried several keyboards all of which work in other pcs, and I've tried most of the usb ports on the fit-pc.
Thanks
Steve

setchp

Post by setchp »

Thanks to those who have looked at my post. Just to clarify matters. It seems as if the only way to get the image back onto the fit-pc is either to get it ti start to then read the usb (which would mean I suppose that I wouldn't need to rebuild it anyway), or to get the fit to see the usb for booting, but as I can't get into the bios I can't check to see if it is set to look at usb first. I hope this adds a little clarity to my first post.
Cheers
Steve

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Try to pull off the Hard Disk (do it with care), and then try to enter BIOS. Don't hesitate to press F2 straight from the beginning of power cycle until you get in to it. Some times it is just to easy to skip the time window of entering bios.
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

setchp

Post by setchp »

Hi everyone.
Tried suggestion of removing hard drive.
Result is no go pressing Del key to get into bios. Really don't know why this should be, in my work I have to change bios settings on numerous pcs, this is the first one that I've had trouble getting into.
Also I'm surprised that this forum is not watched by the fit manufacturers for them to offer a view on problems like this.
Any other ideas/thought most welcome.
Cheers
Steve

irads

Post by irads »

To enter BIOS setup press F2 at boot (not DEL).

Return to “fit-PC2 hardware”