Using SATA port on SBC-fit-PC2 [SOLVED]

cnordegren

Using SATA port on SBC-fit-PC2 [SOLVED]

Post by cnordegren »

Hello everyone
The SBC-fit-PC2 comes with en embedded 4GB NAND flash SSD. However, by today's standards 4GB is not enough storage space to to load today's operating systems.

However, the SBC-fit-PC2 does have a SATA port and I've been able to correctly insert a SATA cable to the board (its not that difficult). However, on the BIOS the PC was unable to detect and SATA SSD/HDD. My question is is it possible to activate the SATA port of the SBC-fit-PC2?

Please note that the box (retail, non-SBC-fitPC2) versions appear to have the same motherboard design. These boards do not have the 4GB NAND soldered to it.

On the retail fit-PC2 I was able to insert the 4 SATA wires to the holes of the SATA port (VCC, and GND of the SSD connected separetely) and the BIOS have no problems detecting the SSD.

I have the impression that the SATA port of the SBC-fit-PC2 has been disabled. Can someone from CompuLab confirm this?

Thank you

gabrielh
Site Admin

Re: Using SATA port on SBC-fit-PC2

Post by gabrielh »

SATA port is always enabled in a SBC-FITPC2, and an appropriate SATA device should be detected by BIOS once it connected to the SATA port.

What SATA device do you use, an HDD or an SSD?
Gabriel Heifets

Fit-PC2/3/IntensePC support.

cnordegren

Post by cnordegren »

hi grabrielh

thank you for the post. i tried using both hdd and ssd but neither worked on an SBC fit-PC2. The bios of the SBC fit-PC2 cannot detect them. They do work on a boxed fit-PC2.

Are you confidently sure SATA port works on a SBC fit-PC@?

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

Yes. Please double check the connection. Can you hear your HDD spinning?
Gabriel Heifets

cnordegren

Post by cnordegren »

Hi gabrielh

of course the HDD spins, but SATA simply does not work. Jut so you know I tried the same test on a SBC fit-PC2 the HDD spins on all 3 but its not detected.

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

I suggest you to double check the SATA pins. Do you use an angle "PCB to HDD" adapter to connect you HDD to SBC-FIT-PC2?
Gabriel Heifets

cnordegren

Post by cnordegren »

Hi gabrielh
Of course I did check the pin layout and got it correctly. This is why i am asking for help.

I have tried using both normal SATA cables and the little PCB that connects the SATA drive to the fit-PC2. Both methods work fine with the normal fit-PC2 but both fail with SBC fit-PC2 (and yes I made sure the contact pins were connected properly).

Is this a BIOS problem on the SBC fit-PC2 where SATA has been disabled?

gabrielh
Site Admin

Post by gabrielh »

cnordegren wrote: Is this a BIOS problem on the SBC fit-PC2 where SATA has been disabled?
No. I suggest you to check the RMA option for your SBC-FIT-PC2
Gabriel Heifets

cnordegren

Post by cnordegren »

hello gabrielh

I got a support ticket and was able to communicate with CompuLab directly. The staff member has been fantastic. Thank you very much for your help and keep up the good work. You can consider the matter resolved.

Return to “fit-PC2 hardware”