Can't get 3x monitors to work

EEDD

Can't get 3x monitors to work

Post by EEDD »

I have an ipc2 i5 barebones. Loaded win 7pro and all of the drivers from the download section. Everything is installed properly and the are no errors in the device manager. How do I get the three monitors to work? There is no option in the Intel config software to enable this. In fact, the display port won't even work for dual monitors. I must have a setting wrong somewhere.

mbirger

Re: Can't get 3x monitors to work

Post by mbirger »

At boot stage only two displays can are operational, and configured in BIOS.
When OS is loaded the third display become operational.

To enable DP please enter BIOS -> Advanced -> System Agent Configuration -> Graphic Configuration - IGD Configuration :
IGD Boot type and choose "Display port"
Please be note that 3 video ports are available only after booting in OS
Some additional notes:
1. During the BIOS/DOS only 2 video ports are available (you can choose from the menu above)
2. DP in the IPC2 isn't muxed with HDMI so only active adaptor will work (In Intense PC this port is muxed so both passive/active adaptors are OK).

When operating under Windows, in order to show all three displays, go to screen resolutions, identify the displays.
So that one will be primary and the other two extend these display. You have to extend these display on each of them.

EEDD

Post by EEDD »

Changed the settings and the three monitors still do not work. I can only get the monitors on the two HDMI ports to work. the OS and Intel config software do not recognize the monitor on the DP.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Probably wrong settings - it is indeed a bit tricky in terms of OS settings to set it to work, however not too much.
  • What are the settings in BIOS - under Graphic Configuration - IGD Configuration?
  • Make sure you have selected IGD Boot type "Display port
  • Connect the DP monitor only, power up and make sure it is working
  • If DP display is working as single display, connect additional HDMI display (port 1 [above DP] or 2, depending on the settings in BIOS). Is it operational?
  • The last step is adding another HDMI monitor and set Windows as described previously

opencompany

Post by opencompany »

We are experiencing the same issue with IPC2 i3/i5 and Win 7 Pro 64-bit.
However we do not have a display with DP available currently so we are using this adapter to convert DP to HDMI.

DisplayPort to HDMI Active 3D Adapter Cable
http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/produc ... cable.html

It should be active and we have changed BIOS settings.
We have tried all combinations and also DP only.

Until now we have not been able to get a picture on the DP connector.
We can see the displayport in the Intel Config software, if we use 1x HDMI and 1x DP. However we can't use or select it.

Any update on this?
Any suggestions for another active adapter we can try?
Kind Regards,
Kevin Peter Gade

CompuLab Nordic A/S (www.compulabnordic.dk)
Danish distributor of fit-PC and other products from CompuLab since 2008.

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

Please note that IPC2 DisplayPort is not DP++, and support either native DP display or VGA display with DP to VGA active adapter.

It doesn't support HDMI or DVI displays, but only with special active adapters that can convert DP protocol to HDMI. So if you are trying to connect IPC2 DP port to some HDMI/DVI display it probably won’t work, as it doesn't supposed to, unless you have special adapters.

We recommend DP to VGA adapter in case you don't have native DP display.

magicmac

Post by magicmac »

Hi!

I'm having the exact same problem here, and honestly, I bought this version of IPC because I didn't even imagine that the displayport could be an issue. I already converted mini-display-port to dvi so I was not expecting to have this problem.

The 3rd monitor where I need to connect has VGA/DVI. I already bought two adapters (1 encore, 1 generic) and both failed miserably.

So, mbirger, would you be so kind to point me a link to an adapter that should work?

Thanks a lot,
Magic.

opencompany

Post by opencompany »

We found the solution after we checked the specifications for the Intel chipset. There is a number of unsupported configurations and e.g 3x HDMI is one of them.

So your adapter probably works. However you are converting to an unsupported interface for the third monitor.

You find all details about the chipset at this link:
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033714.htm

Unsupported Configurations
Active Display 1 Active Display 2 Active Display 3
HDMI* HDMI HDMI
DVI DVI DVI
HDMI HDMI DVI
HDMI DVI DVI
Kind Regards,
Kevin Peter Gade

magicmac

Post by magicmac »

Thanks a lot, opencompany, but that does not solve the issue.

Right now I have two of the HDMI outputs connected to two DVI displays and that works great. If I connect the DisplayPort output to another display, it does not work or the image looks dark, shady, with a horrible resolution.

In other words, the Displayport is not working correctly when connected to either of my two adapters:

DisplayPort to DVI (encore) --> No image at all.
DisplayPort to VGA (generic) --> It works but image is terrible, impossible to work with.

Thanks!
Magic,

opencompany

Post by opencompany »

magicmac wrote: DisplayPort to DVI (encore) --> No image at all.
As you can see 3x DVI is not supported, so your adapter works. However it is converting the DP to DVI and DVI on the third monitor is not supported, when you have DVI on monitor 1 and 2.
magicmac wrote: DisplayPort to VGA (generic) --> It works but image is terrible, impossible to work with.
DVI DVI VGA should be supported but there could be many reasons for a bad picture using VGA. In general VGA will always provide a bad picture compared to DVI/HDMI/DP.

So you might need to get a DP display. Then DVI DVI DP should work for you.
Kind Regards,
Kevin Peter Gade

Return to “IPC2 Hardware”