PoE client

skyfall

PoE client

Post by skyfall »

Hello,
Will the fitlet support Power Over Ethernet (POE) out of the box? And if not, have you left some kind of an option for that (i.e. a header, fitlet-specific add-on)?

Thank you in advance for the answer

irads

Re: PoE client

Post by irads »

There is a provision for powering fitlet-X by PoE via a PoE FACET.
CompuLab has not designed such a FACET because we are not certain of its popularity.

I would be grateful if you and other forum members can explain the use cases you are seeing.

Thanks,

Arwen

Post by Arwen »

One task where PoE client can be helpful, is remote WiFi routing. Simple example. Let's say you want to have your fitlet-i in the attic so the WiFi covers most of your house. But, you have to have A.C. power in that location, or run 12v D.C. to that location. (Permanently used A.C. extension cords in the attic are a BAD idea.)

But, with Ethernet & PoE you can run both it's 1Gbps network and power over a single cable.

Another use would be this. At one time I wanted to put a small file server in my town house's crawl space. Wired network was not a problem, and if the device supported WoL, (Wake on LAN), I could wake it up to perform backups. Thus, it would not likely be stolen, and might survive a fire.

Last, it's not necessary, (at least in the U.S.A.), to have an electrician install Ethernet cables. But, new A.C. wiring & outlets can cost hundreds of dollars and SHOULD be installed by a licensed electrician, (not to mention bonded and insured).
Last edited by Arwen on Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arwen Evenstar
Rivendale, Middle Earth

irads

Post by irads »

Thank you Arwen for the concise use case.

hassellbear

Post by hassellbear »

An alternate solution for powering Fitlet via POE is to use an external POE Splitter such as the Intellinet Model No. 560443.
Intellinet POE Splitter.jpg
Intellinet POE Splitter.jpg (7.99 KiB) Viewed 13784 times
These splitters accept a POE input and seperate it into an ethernet only output and a power only output. They have ample power capacity for small systems such as Fitlet. I have used this approach very successfully with Compulab's Utilite and Utilite2 computers which have power requirements similar to Fitlet.

For a how to see:

http://www.compulab.co.il/utilite-compu ... =77&t=2020

I intend to post a similar POE how to for Fitlet in the near future.

Best regards,

hassellbear

opencompany

Post by opencompany »

irads wrote:There is a provision for powering fitlet-X by PoE via a PoE FACET.
CompuLab has not designed such a FACET because we are not certain of its popularity.

I would be grateful if you and other forum members can explain the use cases you are seeing.

Thanks,
We have just exhibited at a larger trade-show in Denmark and we received the request of a PoE powered fitlet several times from visitors. The use cases could be:

small and elegant installations and digital signage
Only a single LAN-cable and no visible PSU / power socket. Mount on the back of a 7inch display leaves very little room for a black power adapter.

integrated systems with no room for an external PSU
Kind Regards,
Kevin Peter Gade

CompuLab Nordic A/S (www.compulabnordic.dk)
Danish distributor of fit-PC and other products from CompuLab since 2008.

irads

Post by irads »

Thanks for the feedback.
We will look into it.

Best regards,

Return to “fitlet hardware”