Is 61 celsius normal

oiweurlkjfds

Is 61 celsius normal

Post by oiweurlkjfds »

Installed Fedora 21 (with Gnome 3) on my fitlet and use the fit-headless. Also installed the Freon Gnome 3 extension and it shows 61 degrees celsius for my SSD, right after logging in. Just wondering whether this is normal.

irads

Re: Is 61 celsius normal

Post by irads »

SSDs vary in the power they dissipate. fitlet thermal envelope is quite tight due to its small size and fanless operation, so high temperature of an internal heat-dissipating component is to be expected. However, SSDs are very temperature tolerant so the reported temperature is not expected to affect reliability.

Ray73

Post by Ray73 »

I received my mintbox mini this week, and with the preinstalled Linux Mint running XBMC (upgraded to Kodi), the SSD temperature (which seems to be the only temperature sensor available in the box) rose to an alarming 78 celsius!!!

In my case I had one HDMI port connected to my TV, both TV and mintbox mini were in my 20 degree celsius living room

I don't feel comfortable using the Mintbox mini as a HTPC with those temperatures. Did I miss something really important here??

By the way: when doing absolutely nothing but displaying the Linux Mint desktop the temperature was measured at 40+ celsius.

Ray

irads

Post by irads »

The CPU temperature reading is available. MintBox Mini can run quite hot, it does not affect system reliability.
The reported reading of SSD seems unlikely at the given load and ambient, would be worth double checking or comparing to CPU and case temperature.

Ray73

Post by Ray73 »

irads wrote:The CPU temperature reading is available. MintBox Mini can run quite hot, it does not affect system reliability.
The reported reading of SSD seems unlikely at the given load and ambient, would be worth double checking or comparing to CPU and case temperature.
Good to hear that the CPU temperature reading is available! Could you give me a hint as to how I would be able to read/monitor that value? I'm not a linux guru, my efforts with psensors etc haven't worked out.

I assume that by case temperature you mean 'put your hand on the case and feel how warm it is?' With Kodi running I couldn't put my hand on the case for more than a couple of seconds, it was really hot!

irads

Post by irads »

Ray73

Post by Ray73 »

irads wrote:For monitoring CPU temperature see http://www.fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Ge ... e_in_Linux
Thanks, I hadn't found that page yet!

Unfortunately, the solution doesn't work for me:
  • lm-sensors was already installed
  • modprobe (--first-time) reported that k10temp was already installed
  • 'sensors' reported that no sensors were found
  • 'sudo sensors-detect' was unable to find any sensors either.
I'm a bit stumped at the moment, happy to hear suggestions!

Return to “Power and heat”