Clarification Needed on fitlet(-i) Operating Temperature

vitner

Clarification Needed on fitlet(-i) Operating Temperature

Post by vitner »

According to the specification summary, both the IPC2 and fitlet have an upper operating temperature of 70 degrees C. But the fitlet user manuals list the upper temperature as 40 degrees C for the fitlet and 70 degrees C for the IPC2. Can the fitlet(-i) operate in a 70 degree ambient environment?

irads

Re: Clarification Needed on fitlet(-i) Operating Temperature

Post by irads »

Upper temperature limit depends on several factors, among them system load, effectiveness of heat removal from the computer housing (ambient airflow), maximum allowed housing temperature, whether the system is required to operate at full performance at the upper ambient limit or is it allowed to scale back performance.

The difference in temperature rating between owner's manual and spec sheet results from the certification process of fitlet where maximum allowed touch temperature is derived from safety standard under full load - as listed in the owner's manual. The temperature in the specifications reflects the ambient temperature in which fitlet can operate reliably without shutting down or damaging components.

fitlet-i was tested successfully in a temperature chamber at 70C ambient. Its ability to perform at that ambient temperature depends on the factors detailed above. Best way to decide is field trials at worst case scenario with your actual application.

I advise you to consider fitlet-H for extreme temperatures as it provides more thermal headroom.
http://www.fit-pc.com/web/about/news/fi ... s-release/

Return to “Power and heat”