Thermal performance and 3G support

eroihn

Thermal performance and 3G support

Post by eroihn »

Two quick hardware questions:

(1) Is ECC memory supported?

(2) Will the APU throttle after running some time under maximum workload? If this depends on environment temperature (i. e., the room temperature outside fitlet's case), at what room temperature would fitlet's APU never throttle?

plexxxor

Re: Hardware questions

Post by plexxxor »

I've had a FitPC2 and it was absolutely brilliant! Now I would like to add 2 more questions to this hardware questions thread.

(3) "Support for mobile data communication with on-board micro-SIM socket" is what it says. What module will be used? I see in the block diagram, that the micro SIM is connected to the PCIe slot, so will you already deliver any module?

(4) Any Intel version planned? I'm more into intel and I'd buy one if they had the new Broadwell "Core M-5Y70". In benchmarks it's almost double the score of the "6400T" and the same TDP. Probably because of the new Broadwell 14nm lithography. I understand, that AMD might be cheaper, but still I know there are a lot Intel fans out there.

irads

Post by irads »

1. ECC is not supported in fitlet.

2. Throttling is not likely under most workloads. The two environmental factors are surrounding air temperature and airflow. fitlet is designed to work in open space at human-comfortable temperature. The APU will start throttling when die temperature is at 95 degrees. System needs to continuously dissipate well over 10W to get to that temperature. This requires an extreme workload. If one plans for such workload I would suggest opting for fit-PC4 or IPC2.

3. CompuLab is offering 3G cellular kit based on Telit HE910. It is compatible with fitlet-i/X.

4. Unfortunately we cannot discuss unannounced products.

Arwen

Post by Arwen »

plexxxor wrote:...
(4) Any Intel version planned? I'm more into intel and I'd buy one if they had the new Broadwell "Core M-5Y70". In benchmarks it's almost double the score of the "6400T" and the same TDP. Probably because of the new Broadwell 14nm lithography. I understand, that AMD might be cheaper, but still I know there are a lot Intel fans out there.
I looked up the Intel Broadwell Core M-5Y70 chip. For the fitlet, this chip is likely lower performance
than you may think. Here are 2 main points;
  • It only has 2 true cores, using Intel's Hyper-Threading for the the other 2.
  • It has 2 memory channels, fitlet is a 1 memory channel chassis, (single SO-DIMM)
The last may be the biggest hit. All the fitlet performance numbers were done as single SO-DIMM, since
that's all it can have. And it's likely that Intel did any performance testing of their chip with 2 memory modules.

All that said, it might perform similar or better than an AMD A4 Micro-6400T SoC.
But, we now have the AMD A10 Micro-6700T SoC in the fitlet-iA10 or fitlet-XA10-LAN.
More money, but better performance.
Arwen Evenstar
Rivendale, Middle Earth

Return to “Mechanical”