Fitlet-T problems with Linux Mint

Abuhannibal

Fitlet-T problems with Linux Mint

Post by Abuhannibal »

Moved from a different forum once i realized that I am running a Fitlet-T and not a Fit-PC4. :) (Sorry about that.)

Folks, I am having two issues with my T, both possibly related. This looks like an RMA issue to me but figured I'd post here first, if only to ask how to proceed. I have installed Linux Mint 18 and 18.1 multiple times, from different disks. Each time I have the same symptom: the machine only manages to fully boot maybe 25% of the time; it seems to stop just as the mouse cursor appears but before the desktop is loaded. Sometimes it gets farther and I see an error message that Cinnamon has crashed. I stress that this symptom is consistent with different versions of Mint/Cinnamon installed from different DVD's. The other issue is that I have a SATA SSD in it, from the approved list, which the mb does not always recognize. When it boots and the mb sees the drive the machine works fine. The drive is fully seated, and I have tried a different drive with the same result. TIA for your thoughts!

EDIT: I want to add that I run Linux Mint 18.1 in another machine, in which it is rock solid - certainly no issues with Cinnamon constantly crashing or drives not being recognized (I generally like to configure my small servers with two drives.) Anybody?

Abuhannibal

Re: Fitlet-T problems with Linux Mint

Post by Abuhannibal »

Folks, a bit of an update. Since I had an extra msata SSD, I decided just for experimental porpoises to pop that one into the machine and try Win 10 on it. So far it has been running just fine for 24 hrs with that OS. No crashes or any other signs of weirdness/instability. So... assuming this continues, I will be left to conclude that one of the two things which changed fixed the problem - either the SSD was flaky (they are both the same model, and from the approved list) or something was going on with my Linux installs (though as I said I had installed multiple releases from multiple CD's, and as you all know, there's not too much you can do wrong.) I am under some time pressure here so may not be able to try Linux on the new SSD for a few weeks yet to see if it works Ok from that one. I had rather wanted to run Linux as it would save me the $$ for a windows license, but if I do end up just leaving this box with windows on it for now it's not a disaster. Eventually when i get time i will resolve the mystery.

Abuhannibal

Post by Abuhannibal »

OK I do believe the mystery has now been resolved. The culprit is/was... drum roll please... the compulab display emulator. When I use it the machine consistently fails to see the SATA SSD (which I have configured as Drive D) in both Linux and Windows, and frequently fails to boot in Linux. Machine works just fine with both OS's without it. Not sure if this is some sort of BIOS incompatibility or whether my emulator is defective. But for anyone using one, if you have strange issues, consider pulling it out and see if they go away. Would appreciate hearing from Compulab support on this -is this a known problem?

mbirger

Post by mbirger »

No, we're not familiar with such issues

Abuhannibal

Post by Abuhannibal »

Mbirger, thanks. Obviously it's not a big deal; will consider RMA'ing the emulator tho. Anyway FWIW I can tell everyone that the machine itself works great now. :)

Return to “fitlet faults and troubleshooting”