View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Could a GPU be added to the Airtop-D and Airtop-DIY models? 

Post Could a GPU be added to the Airtop-D and Airtop-DIY models?
I noticed that in the specs for the Airtop-D and Airtop-DIY models that a GPU was not installed? Could one buy one of those models and then upgrade them by adding a GPU (if not a normal off-the-shelf GPU, then a GPU possibly sold by Compulab in the future)? Or are the graphics capabilities of each Airtop model "locked in", so to speak?

Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:23 pm
Post Re: Could a GPU be added to the Airtop-D and Airtop-DIY mode
Please refer to:
http://airtop-pc.com/faq-items/can-i-install-my-own-graphics-card-in-airtop/

Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:36 pm

That only tells me that an upgrade via an off-the-shelf graphics card is probably infeasible -- which is why I included the caveat "if not a normal off-the-shelf GPU, then a GPU possibly sold by Compulab in the future" in the first place!

It does not tell me if a GPU upgrade path for an Airtop-D or Airtop-DIY has been blocked off outright.

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:34 pm
It is possible, but can be cumbersome and inconvenient as it involves reworking the GPU in specific manner in order to thermally couple it to the chassis. Moreover it can void the warranty if something goes wrong.

Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:13 am

mbirger wrote:
It is possible, but can be cumbersome and inconvenient as it involves reworking the GPU in specific manner in order to thermally couple it to the chassis.

Again, I'm not necessarily talking about an off-the-shelf GPU. Sheesh, I've said that three times already. I'm not even talking about doing a modification to an off-the-shelf GPU.

Let me put it this way. Is the GPU of an Airtop-G a discrete part that Compulab could (if it thought there was a market for it) sell as an upgrade for other Airtop models?

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:09 pm
The GPU card installed in Airtop-G models is a discrete part, but beside the GPU card itself there are additional parts that have to be installed in a correct manner (heat spreader, bolts, screws, washers, thermal grease,...), what makes the integration not straightforward.

Due to the above reasons Compulab will not sell discrete GPUs as stand alone parts.

Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:50 pm

Thank you! That's the kind of thing I wanted to know.

In short, yes, for nearly all practical purposes, the the graphics capabilities of each Airtop model are indeed "locked in."

Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]