Recommendation: video performance

Moderator: Andrey.Mazlin

bangclue

Recommendation: video performance

Post by bangclue »

I'm looking for a fanless low-power server box that can also push out 4k HDMI video. I'm not geek enough to know what the various video chips mean in terms of performance. The machine will also be running a VM I need for a Windows utility (stupid scanner) but that also is a pretty low-demand thing.

I had a fit-pc3 for several years but it's finally let out the magic smoke. I was looking at a fitlet2 - is this the right box, and what CPU should I get?

tamir
Site Admin

Re: Recommendation: video performance

Post by tamir »

The Intel HD graphics in the Apollo lake does support 4K resolutions, and should be able to push videos in that resolution.

Please elaborate on how you intend to run a VM in which environment?

bangclue

Post by bangclue »

On my fit-pc3 running Mint I had a Virtualbox VM with XP as the guest OS. It runs just one application, the background job for a scanner. It ran fine.

I would be happy to get the scanner running directly under Linux but I never got around to a really deep dive on it. The software Brother provided didn't work under Wine.

Also, video performance on my fit-pc3 was not as good as advertised. When I bought it I was told it could handle 780p or 1080i but neither of those resolutions would play properly, even without the VM running. So that's why I want to make sure there's plenty of horsepower behind the video.

Mikael63

Post by Mikael63 »

Of topic:
Exact type of yours scanner?
Did you try gscan2pdf in (native)Mint?
Linux Mint Vera 21.1 Cinnamon @ MBM2 Pro

bangclue

Post by bangclue »

Scanner is a Brother DCP-L2540DW printer/scanner. Printing worked fine; scanner wasn't recognized by Mint. Don't remember the software I used; it was a year ago or more now that I last messed with it, because the VM solution worked well enough. The use case was to go to the scanner, add a document, push the "scan" button, and have the image save to a network drive, rather than request the scan through PC software, which I can do on my Windows laptop if I cared to.

gscan2pdf: never heard of it. Will check it out when the server arrives.

Mikael63

Post by Mikael63 »

https://support.brother.com/g/b/downloa ... ng=English
(some part is in Swedish, but files/download is in english)
Scan-key-tool 64bit (deb package)
With this tool, you can start a scan by the button on the machine.
Linux Mint Vera 21.1 Cinnamon @ MBM2 Pro

bangclue

Post by bangclue »

Cool! Thanks.

tamir
Site Admin

Post by tamir »

bangclue wrote:On my fit-pc3 running Mint I had a Virtualbox VM with XP
Also, video performance on my fit-pc3 was not as good as advertised. When I bought it I was told it could handle 780p or 1080i but neither of those resolutions would play properly, even without the VM running. So that's why I want to make sure there's plenty of horsepower behind the video.
It is true that the fitlet2 is not especially designed for 4K video streaming, but
installing the intel video acceleration graphic driver and using the MPV media players prove to work well in Linux environment, please see below instructions:
http://fit-pc.com/wiki/index.php/Intel: ... ux_Mint_19

Return to “General fitlet2 questions”