No DVI or VGA Video

DVI, HDMI (or lack of), VGA (or lack of), supported displays
PeterE

No DVI or VGA Video

Post by PeterE »

Sirs, I loaded the USB to VGA software so I could use the PC with any VGA monitor. This worked OK until I disconnected the DVI monitor. The PC didn't like not having the DVI connected, so I switched OFF monitor '1' (DVI) in the Windows Control Panel,..... now there is no video - other than the initial BIOS screen ! :(
Is there any way to recover this, or will I have to re-install Windows?

Thanks,

benjgil

Re: No DVI or VGA Video

Post by benjgil »

Hi Peter,
Can i check a few points:

You said you can only see the BIOS on the DVI monitor, and then it cuts off - this would imply that the USB graphics card is then kicking in, but you're saying that you're not seeing anything on the USB display even then?

You've also said that you've disabled the DVI monitor - are you sure that you havent disabled the VGA (USB) monitor? If you had set the USB monitor to primary and then disabled then that would cause the USB monitor to not fire up even when Windows has loaded up, and if you havent disabled it then it should start showing the Windows log-in screen when windows has started up.

Either way though, it's worth starting up the PC in VGA mode (press F8 on start-up) WITHOUT the USB converter connected - this should mean the PC recognises the DVI monitor (even though it has been turned off in the windows settings) and you should then be able to re-configure the monintor settings.

FYI - if you want to set the USB (VGA) monitor as the primary and not use the DVI monitor at all, you need to first go to the USB-VGA monitor's settings, check both boxes and THEN go into the DVI monitor's settings and make sure BOTH boxes are UN-clicked.

When you then click apply, the DVI monitor will turn off and the USB/VGA one will show the desktop - and this will remain the case on restart as well.

Let me know if that helps - or if it doesnt!

Rgds
Benjamin
Fit PC UK

PeterE

Re: No DVI or VGA Video

Post by PeterE »

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks for your reply.
You said you can only see the BIOS on the DVI monitor, and then it cuts off - this would imply that the USB graphics card is then kicking in, but you're saying that you're not seeing anything on the USB display even then?
The LED on the USB converter flashed a few times during the PC boot-up, then stays off, there isn't any VGA graphics during this time.
You've also said that you've disabled the DVI monitor - are you sure that you havent disabled the VGA (USB) monitor? If you had set the USB monitor to primary and then disabled then that would cause the USB monitor to not fire up even when Windows has loaded up, and if you havent disabled it then it should start showing the Windows log-in screen when windows has started up.
I checked the monitors using the 'Identify' function in 'Display', but I think the USB monitor was left in 'Extended' Mode, I suspect I should have changed this to 'Mirror' Mode? - before switching off the DVI output.
Either way though, it's worth starting up the PC in VGA mode (press F8 on start-up) WITHOUT the USB converter connected - this should mean the PC recognises the DVI monitor (even though it has been turned off in the windows settings) and you should then be able to re-configure the monintor settings.
I have done this, selecting 'Enable VGA mode'; but after the initial Windows splash screen (with the blue bar running along the bottom (as before)), there is still nothing but a blank screen on the DVI monitor.

I don't know if there is anything significant in the fact that the PC does not appear to run in 'Safe Mode' either (?).

Regards,
Peter.

Return to “Display interface”