No Display with New fit-PC and New DVI-D Monitor

DVI, HDMI (or lack of), VGA (or lack of), supported displays
Jaime_TX

No Display with New fit-PC and New DVI-D Monitor

Post by Jaime_TX »

Hi all,

I recently purchased and received the "diskless" fit-PC. My ultimate goal is to install the Ubunu OS on a flash ("thumb") drive and then get Magic Jack working with Ubuntu (I found promising info for getting Magic Jack operational behind Ubuntu).

But before going down that path, the first thing I did when I got my new fit-PC and monitor was to do a simple power-up test. I expected that-- even with no hard drive installed--I could get to the BIOS / setup screen with DVI-D connection to a compatible monitor.

Unfortunately, I have so far been unsuccessful. :cry: I get NOTHING on the monitor. Regarding the monitor...

I purchased a brand new Acer X223W monitor, which accepts both VGA and DVI-D input format. The maximum graphics specification for the monitor is 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz.

From the fit-PC Owner's manual, I see that the fit-PC has a maximum resolution of 1920 x 1200. Although that exceeds the monitor's maximum capabilities, wouldn't the setup screen come up in a lower resolution?

I do note that the fit-PC does show some signs of life when I power it up. Specifically, the green LED does come on when powered and I am able to control keyboard CAPS and NUM lock (keyboard leds properly track). Also, when I do the CNTL-ALT-DEL sequence, I see the power LED flicker. Finally, when I follow the procedure of holding F2 down while powering up (per the manual), the green power led does NOT come on. Is that operation correct?

In any case, the monitor does not see any signal regardless of what I do.

Is there something else I need to do? Do I have to install a bootable OS (either by HD or flash drive) in order to get to the setup screen? If so, that is unlike any computer I've worked with before.

If I don't get a definitive answer to the questions I've asked above (and I DID look in the forums but didn't find), then the only thing I know to try after that is to get another DVI-D monitor to rule out a bad monitor.

Thanks all!

Jaime

irads

Re: No Display with New fit-PC and New DVI-D Monitor

Post by irads »

All fit-PC2s are checked with a display before shipping. It could break since, but it is not very likely.

First check that cables are connected firmly - DVI connector often look connected when they aren't.

Check the display with another computer. See if it has auto input detection and try manual input change.

FYI, fit-PC2 should display splashscreen and a message on text screen at 640x480 when there is no OS.

Jaime_TX

Post by Jaime_TX »

Life exists!

I tested the monitor behind my laptop using the VGA port, and it worked. Next, I re-connected the DVI-D to the fit-PC, and it worked!

The fit-PC diskless says "No operating system" upon boot. And I can now go into the BIOS by booting with F2 depressed.

Was it a loose connection, or was the monitor in a funky state that was cleared by application of VGA signal (the monitor indicated "auto config" when it saw signal)? Don't know, but in any case, I'm happy to be running now.

Jaime

cionica

Post by cionica »

I have the same problem when using my JVC HD TV. when i boot the pc with the HDMI cable in, i dont get anything on my TV. if i boot with no video cable in, and plug the video cable a few sec. later, it works.

Jaime_TX

Post by Jaime_TX »

Oops! I'm afraid I was too quick to claim victory. :( What I now know is that there are serious video signal integrity problems with the system I've got. When the monitor is receiving DVI-D from the fit-PC, the display comes and goes sporadically--when I can get a picture at all. I have double and triple checked all connections, but the result is the same. Interestingly, the monitor has dual input formats--the other one is VGA. Unlike the DVI-D path, the VGA input path is perfectly stable when connected to my lap top.

So at this point, I've narrowed it down to one of three things:
1) The DVI-D signal circuitry of the monitor,
2) The DVI-D video signal circuitry of the fit-PC
3) The interconnecting video cables

My next step is to take both the monitor and the fit-PC (with its cables) to the electronics store where I purchased the new monitor to test the video signal integrity of the above-listed items.

BTW, thanks for the advice, Cionica. My monitor does mention that "it is important" that it get its power on first; I even tried your method of doing the video cable plug-in until the very last. But still no luck.

Jaime_TX

Post by Jaime_TX »

Good news! :P

It turns out that the brand new Acer monitor was an out-of-box failure. Its DVI-D path was defective.

Bad news for the Acer monitor, but good news for the fit-PC as it is working!

Now, on to the next task of getting Ubuntu working with Magic Jack--so I can save tons of energy and phone bills!

Return to “Display interface”