Small Monitors that use same power?

DVI, HDMI (or lack of), VGA (or lack of), supported displays
luckytroll

Small Monitors that use same power?

Post by luckytroll »

I have been searching for a small monitor for this platform. So far All I find online are HDMI studio monitors for the film production folks, and those are horrifyingly expensive.

All I want is a small (7-17") Monitor that takes HDMI/DVI-D in and is powered by 12V (like the computer) and has a reasonably robust case.

I currently have a 17" 12V LCD with a high degree of water resistance (It is used with the FITpcI on a boat) and use it for comms/nav server duties on the boat. I would like to create systems using the new fitpc2 for boats, but I know few boaters who want to spring for a large monitor with AC input that has a lot of ventilation for salt air to eat them.

So to sum - required
12v power (no internal AC adaptor)
17" or smaller
Case with a front wipe-screen and minimal vent holes
HDMI input (as well as analog and RCA if possible)

Anybody seen this?

yogev_ezra

Re: Small Monitors that use same power?

Post by yogev_ezra »

I was suggested "Samsung U70" - maybe it's an option for you.
It connects via USB so it does not need power cord at all.
It's 7" and draws 4.5 watts.

luckytroll

Post by luckytroll »

I like the displaylink idea. Now the question is - Can I boot a fitPC2 with a USB VGA adaptor connected and have it recognize and boot with this display as primary display?

This might be beyond the ability of the BIOS, but it would be a feature that would make the FIT2 viable again for the stuff I want to use it for.

:mrgreen:

benjgil

Post by benjgil »

Re: booting with USB-VGA adaptor and it being recognised as the primary display, we have now completed evaluation of a USB-VGA displayLink adaptor and yep, it does keep the settings on re-boot and the VGA display fires up immediately as the primary display.

Note though, that it does require connection to a non-VGA display and a USB-optical drive for setup.

Another note - i can only speak for the adaptor we have been evaluating here in the office - it could be that the software for other displayLink adaptors would not enable this functionality.

If you would like to evaluate our solution, we will be making them available for purchase by the end of the month at a price of £35 per unit at www.fit-pc.co.uk.

benjgil

Post by benjgil »

Hi again,

As an update to this thread, we have now added a 7" USB monitor, like the Samsung U70 but with touch-panel and only £99.95 + VAT, as an accessory for Fit-PC2 from the UK.

It is indeed usable as the Primary monitor (though as it is a USB device it becomes active only after Windows loads so you wont be able to view the BIOS on it) and is powered solely via the USB connection.

If you're interested in finding out more please go to www.fit-pc.co.uk.

Kind regards

Benjamin
Fit-PC UK

blegas78

Post by blegas78 »

Is there any support for ubuntu?

benjgil

Post by benjgil »

A few months ago DisplayLink - the company who developed the USB-Graphics adaptor technology on which the MIMO monitors are based - began work with a Linux driver development company to create Linux drivers for DisplayLink devices.

We know that other DisplayLink devices that we source have now become Linux-compatible (e.g. the USB-VGA graphics adaptor), and they use pretty much exactly the same driver as the MIMO monitors, so if the drivers are not readily available on the net immediately, they are almost guaranteed to be made available within the coming few weeks.

benjgil

Post by benjgil »

Another update:

The manufacturers have stated that they cannot provide drivers for Linux due to the wide variety of 'flavours', however the full library for Diplalink devices is available, so for someone who knows what they're doing development of a driver for your specific Linux distro is certainly possible.

The library (called libdlo) is available at http://libdlo.freedesktop.org/wiki/

belcat

Post by belcat »

Has someone gotten the Samsung SyncMaster HighDefinition MiniMonitor U70 to work with Linux?

It sounds like it would, but the only source I've found on the 'net is in Ebay and they don't accept returns. So as well if someone knows someplace that sells it closer to Canada, that would be great.

Return to “Display interface”