USB Video 7" Samsung Model U70

DVI, HDMI (or lack of), VGA (or lack of), supported displays
tom_in_atlanta

Re: USB Video 7" Samsung Model U70

Post by tom_in_atlanta »

It's fun to tinker with this stuff. I posted a question on the Display Link site. I thought they would be a better source than Samsung to resolve this issue. I will let you know what I find out.

So can I just use the supplied U70 cable and use the plug that has data, and not the one for power? The data plug is data and power? Or do I need another cable that carries both through one plug?

AoRaToS

Post by AoRaToS »

You can use the data cable from the 2cable that came with it, that's what I did at first (with the fit-PC Slim) then when I installed it on fit-PC2 I decided to try a simple one and it works fine as you saw ;)

Let me know what they say!

tom_in_atlanta

Post by tom_in_atlanta »

I notice the version number of the driver is older on the Samsung site than the version on the Display link site. Samsung has ver 4.6 whereas the Displaylink site has 5.1. There is a version 5.2 beta available but I think the only difference between 5.1 and 5.2 is that 5.2 supports Windows 7. I may try upgrading to ver 5.1.

Haven't heard anything from Displaylink tech support yet.

AoRaToS

Post by AoRaToS »

I've read about a couple of problems with version 5.1 and U70 in the displaylink forums so I haven't updated since it works fine for me, it's supposed to have some improvements in speed (mostly when used as a second screen probably) but I don't see any problem with my setup so won't update just yet...Only thing I've seen is the CPU usage can go a bit high, with fit-PC Slim it sometimes went up to 25% and didn't check under video playback since it didn't do quite well anyway, with the performance boost of fit-PC2 it's at 1% and jumps to 10% or even 15% at full screen video playback of a DVD sized .avi file, didn't check HD...It is high, USB uses the CPU anyway so it should be expected... If I try the new drivers I'll compare CPU usage before/after to see if it's driver related and can go further down...

tom_in_atlanta

Post by tom_in_atlanta »

Interesting. I haven't compared HD playback either. I have an Asus eee pc that i was using prior to the FIT-PC2. I will have to compare.

I never heard back from Displaylink tech support. I will have to write them again I guess. I did find a gadget called the HD Fury on Amazon. It converts the digital signal from the FIT-PC2 to analog VGA to play on my 15 inch Acer VGA monitor. It works very well and cost $75.

But i haven't figured out how to get the USB Samsung Monitor to work standalone yet. That would enable me to use it as a portable with the Tekken battery pack.

tom_in_atlanta

Post by tom_in_atlanta »

Displaylink does not respond to my emails.

I found this information in the Troubleshooting Guide that came with the monitor...

"I have connected the USB monitor but it does not boot up..."

Q: For the One-Board Type computer which uses an i815 chipset motherboard, change the Legacy USB support option to [Disabled] in the BIOS Setup menu and reboot the computer.

A: (Example) Phoenix BIOS
If you turn on the computer, the ”Press F2 to enter SETUP” message is displayed on the bottom of the screen. Press [F2] to display the BIOS Setup menu.

A: - Configuring the Settings
Set the Advanced -> Peripheral Configuration (Integrated Peripherals) -> Legacy USB Support item to [Enabled]. Save the settings and reboot the computer.

Have you played around with this setting?

AoRaToS

Post by AoRaToS »

I played around a bit when I first got it, I changed the boot sequence and that setting is enabled in my bios, did anything happen after you tried it out?

tom_in_atlanta

Post by tom_in_atlanta »

I haven't looked at it yet. I will check it out. I can't think of anything else that would be different between your setup and mine.

tom_in_atlanta

Post by tom_in_atlanta »

I looked in the BIOS for this setting. I have no such setting in my Advanced Menu Screen. I updated the BIOS to the latest one (090831.rom). Still no option for this setting.

I searched on USB Monitors and found the following software:

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/

I installed it but I still cant use the U70 standalone. I'm ruinning out of options. Any ideas?

AoRaToS

Post by AoRaToS »

I may have to check the BIOS again as I may be confusing that option with another since I only went into the BIOS twice...Only problem is the Dinovo Mini doesn't have F-keys so no F2...

So I have o unplug my main keyboard and plug it into the fit-PC2...no problem you say...It's a wireless combo (Mouse+Keyboard) and I unplug it as rarely as possible :D

I'll check later...

I'll repeat this as I said it before, but this time I'll ask straightforward...Irads is there any way the BIOS can have "Delele" as it's "Enter Setup" key, instead of "F2" which some keyboards might not have?Maybe in some update...

Return to “Display interface”