DVI repeater solved my issue - why?

DVI, HDMI (or lack of), VGA (or lack of), supported displays
Robsy

DVI repeater solved my issue - why?

Post by Robsy »

Hello all! I bought a fitpc2 with dual boot (ubuntu + xp) and it work perfectly on all screens. Until I recieved a open frame tft-panel (19#) manufactured by Winsonic. I needed this panel for making a kiosk installation with the fitpc2. The open frmae panel would simply not get any signal from the fitpc2, not even the bios splash screen - which is very odd. The open frame panel worked perceftly with all my other PCs (2 xp machines and a mac) - above all it is ALLWAYS supposed to display the bios splash. But with the fitpc2... dead! (Saying no cable, no signal on tthe display, albeit the fitpc2 is booting)

On the other hand the fitpc2 had worked perfectly with 3 other screens. Great frustration! I tried to find some info about this.. searching for specs and extra drivers and whatnots... and nothing.

I tried several cables and HDMI-to_DVI-adapters.

Two days later I get this weird idea... I'll buy a simple DVI-repeater and put it as an additional link in the HDMI-to-DVI and DVI to screen-chain. I have this odd thought in my mind: small PC form factor = not enough power for the TFT-panel. I make this configuration and a give the repeater extra power through the accompanying eliminator and voilà..... it works!

Aha? So I take out the power connection to the repeater (the eliminator feeding it with 5 volts)... and still... it works! Eh?

I became very happy, now I could use the open frame panel (much easier to build into things then consumer screens) and meet my deadline with the kiosk installation. Allthough with an extra component to fit into the kiosk: a repeater!

The question is simple... does anyone understand why this is so?

Best
Robert Brecevic / artist&developer (performingpictures.se)

steelmm

Re: DVI repeater solved my issue - why?

Post by steelmm »

Hi Robert

I am having the same problem with my fitpc2 no monitor i has worked only i could get an connection through my samsung tv hdmi lead
Its seems maybe there is a slight problem or power issue with some units causing the monitor not to power up unless there has benn an intial power boost of some kind to clear any bad circuit inside to unit itself. Strange maybe the manufacturer shouldbe emailed about this problem.. Thanks for the solution i will give it a try with my kit

:?

Return to “Display interface”