Just tried to install FreeBSD on Fit-PC2

swelch@complex.org

Re: Just tried to install FreeBSD on Fit-PC2

Post by swelch@complex.org »

Or do what I did, and buy a $15 USB to Ethernet adapter. The cheapest one I found that worked at 100baseT under FreeBSD was the Trendnet TU2-ET100 at about $15 at Fry's. They had a cheaper ($10) Trendnet unit (the part number is very similar, TU-ET100C), but it only worked at 10baseT with FreeBSD. Just to make things maximally confusing, they had a more expensive Trendnet one (1 Gigabit Enet), but it didn't work with FreeBSD, at all.

If you can find an old Linksys USB to 100Mbit Ethernet with a 200 in the model number, that worked fine, too, but the current model with 300 in the model number didn't work. Supposedly the 1 Gigabit Linksys USB adapter works, but I didn't try it--it costs $70, so I returned it after the $15 Trendnet worked.

Good luck!
St

pto

Post by pto »

I also tried a very new FreeBSD (with the help of Poul-Henning Kamp) some days ago. It is more tricky - we could get the network to work _OR_ the X-server.

From http://www.version2.dk/artikel/11116-fi ... og-freebsd:

"PHK and I played with FreeBSD, but we ran into a brick wall. The installation ran very easily, but the BIOS is a problem. There is an option which tune PCI resource allocation at WinXP, Win95, WinNT, or "other". Either we could get X to work, or the network driver - but not both simultaneously. Unfortunately we were unable to get this problem solved. "
Last edited by pto on Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

swelch@complex.org

Post by swelch@complex.org »

...I also tried a very new FreeBSD (with the help of Poul-Henning Kamp) some days ago. It is more tricky - we could get the network to work _OR_ the X-server...
We're not using X, so I can't confirm or deny this.

St

quagga

Post by quagga »

So, the status is that FreeBSD 8.0-ish works on the Fit-PC2 but only if you choose either the ethernet or the X server right? Do you have any details on what you selected in the bios to get either or working?

I'm not interested in the X server as my system will be a headless server, but I do wish I could get some BSD up and running. If not, I'll have to deal with Ubuntu server.

Dynasore

Network trouble with FreeBSD 7.2

Post by Dynasore »

Had some trouble installing FreeBSD 7.2 on my Fit-PC2. BSD couldn't get the NIC working. In my dmesg I saw this:
re0: <RealTek 8168/8168B/8168C/8168CP/8168D/8111B/8111C/8111CP PCIe Gigabit Ethernet> port 0x2000-0x20ff at device 0.0 on pci2
re0: 0x1000 bytes of rid 0x18 res 3 failed (0, 0xffffffff).
re0: Using 1 MSI messages
re0: reset never completed!
re0: Chip rev. 0x7c800000
re0: MAC rev. 0x00400000
re0: PHY write failed
re0: PHY write failed
re0: MII without any phy!

A friend of mine had no trouble installe 7.2 on his Fit-PC2. The difference:
- I installed the new BIOS-version 090721
- I played around with some other OS's like Ubuntu before installing BSD. (In ubuntu the network worked just fine)

So my guess is the BIOS-update had sth to do with the problems.

I managed to solve it by setting PXE-Boot to yes in the BIOS. The machine starts up a bit slower now because it tries to do a PXE-Boot first, but at least it's working!!!

tobe

Post by tobe »

Hello,

Just installed FreeBSD on my brand new Fit-PC2!

The installation went fine but i wasn't able to use the installer (no cdrom, no screen) so i made a USB boot disk instead and cloned my old server via ssh.
Everything works fine (i didn't tested the video card because it's running headless), setting the OS to 'other' in BIOS.

Return to “FreeBSD”